neodetectorist Bronze Member Joined Jan 4, 2016 Messages 1,044 Reaction score 4,257 Golden Thread 0 Location NE Ohio Detector(s) used Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer Primary Interest: Metal Detecting May 16, 2018 #1 I started restoring a few of my axes using the oil soak method. Pretty good so far. Should I finish with electrolysis or is this as good as it gets? Upvote 1 Downvote
I started restoring a few of my axes using the oil soak method. Pretty good so far. Should I finish with electrolysis or is this as good as it gets?
Shakakka Hero Member Joined May 11, 2017 Messages 665 Reaction score 1,938 Golden Thread 0 Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting May 16, 2018 #2 Dunno about the oil soak method, but here's an axehead I restored with electrolysis. When it was done I heated it in the oven for 5 minutes to dry all remaining water, applied a coat of CRISCO, then baked it another half hour at 350. Attachments before-after-axe.webp 1.4 MB · Views: 200 before-after-axe2.webp 900 KB · Views: 191
Dunno about the oil soak method, but here's an axehead I restored with electrolysis. When it was done I heated it in the oven for 5 minutes to dry all remaining water, applied a coat of CRISCO, then baked it another half hour at 350.
G glass half fool Bronze Member Joined Jul 17, 2017 Messages 1,123 Reaction score 2,014 Golden Thread 0 Location North of the Mason Dixon line Detector(s) used White 5900DiPro Primary Interest: All Treasure Hunting May 18, 2018 #3 Looks pretty good Nice old relics