Results from last 2 boxes halves

Atlas

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All

I'm kind of a small timer and do a box of halves every month or so.

Last two Loomis boxes searched gave up:

Box 1 - top row in pic
a Panamanian half (not silver)
and a '68 40%

Box 2
'61 Franklin
'79 and '81 Proofs S mintmark.

I also found a few proofs in previous boxes. Any idea what a proof half now busted out and "circulated" is worth. I'm thinking a buck at least?

Having fun one box at a time IMG-20130503-00448.jpg

Upvote 0

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. Most LCS won't purchase proofs pulled from circulation. Try calling around and asking. Good luck!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a tube of proofs for 22 dollars to my LCS

next time I came in, they said could no longer buy them from me, due to the finger prints.

I LOLed.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your proofs are worth what someone will pay for them. Impaired proofs, while neat to find, just aren't an easy guaranteed sale. I've seen some sell in the $1-$3 range on ebay, while others in similar condition and price range never receive a single bid. Honestly, I'm shocked that any of them sell for any premium as entire clad proof sets can be bought very inexpensively. But, they do occasionally sell. About all you can do is shop them around and hope for the best.

Computer Jones

Oct 23, 2012
The Great Pacific North Wet. (I can see Canada whe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just keep the circulated proofs as something neat for the next generation (or the one after that ) to play with after I'm gone.
I've never been able to get a LCS to give anything but face for them, even when I showed them my COMPLETE SET of the best I've found (they look real nice, frosty faces and Eagles with mirror like backgrounds).

I've actually been able to have the LCS offer me more than face (75 cents) for the nicer NIFC's I find.
I didn't sell 'em, if your wondering.
Same thing's gonna happen with them as the proofs.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hundreds, have not tried to sell them in a while. I did make about 20 cents per coin on a lot of $48 face a while back.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldn't this be in the halves sub-forum?

Never mind. I am scanning more of the general forum posts from this past weekend, and it looks like there has been a general mutiny in putting the posts in the right location. Guess I need to go back to planning on being on the board for an hour per visit again instead of the half hour I was spending last week.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread