CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REV WAR 16th REGIMENT PEWTER SPOONS&68PNDR CANNON BALL

Hi. I have been out of the water for awhile with boat issues. I finally have things organized and am back treasure hunting. What a pay off 30 minutes ago. Water find with fisher 1280x. Not one but two Regimental Large spoons of the 16th Regiment of foot. I found 1 musket ball then a piece of grape shot but I was still getting a signal. Then out popped the spoon. At the time I thought it was plain. Then about 6ft away I found three more musket balls and the second spoon. When I got home I saw the broad arrow and the the J6 I almost had a heart attack. Also has makers mark and soldiers full name in script! The other has a large RM in the bowl. I think I'll head back to that spot! I also found the largest cannon ball I've ever found yesterday. It weighs 65 pounds! Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Re: REV WAR 16th REGIMENT PEWTER SPOONS

Very nice finds. I was looking forward to more of your posts.
-Ev

Very cool...what part of the country are you hunting? I assume NE.

NJ

Wow soldiers initials. That gives me goose bumps and I have to say is a little emotional. I mean the guy who owned that spoon was there where it all began. That type of thing just hits me.

Congrats

Ted

Ted Mac said:
Wow soldiers initials. That gives me goose bumps and I have to say is a little emotional. I mean the guy who owned that spoon was there where it all began. That type of thing just hits me.

Congrats

Ted
Thanks alot. It is rare to find items with names. But I find more than anything else they put their names on there spoons for some reason. Maybe they were all kept together. ???

Re: REV WAR 16th REGIMENT PEWTER SPOONS&68PNDR CANNON BALL

I like spoons. :D That's a couple cool ones there. :thumbsup: But I think they would go better with the war of 1812.Just from the style they looked like neocassical to me. :wink: Which do date 1740-1810 give or take.But then I checked the D&S mark which I believe is Dixon & Smith later Dixon & son.Dixon & Smith started 1806-1823 then become Dixon & Son 1823 - onward.Not sure where you live but you mention the 16th reg. so I'm thinking this area below. :D
http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLADIXON.html
http://www.sha.org/research_resources/documents/Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware.pdf
http://www.pastmasters.info/PewterSpoons.pdf

Attachments

• plattsburgh-battle-map_n-02[1].jpg
    plattsburgh-battle-map_n-02[1].jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 827

That's some nice old stuff. That ball is a lunker.

Incredible finds...You've got one of the best hunting areas I've ever seen. I found a 36 pounder this past spring and had a hard time getting it home...how did you get that monster home?

Timekiller said:
I like spoons. :D That's a couple cool ones there. :thumbsup: But I think they would go better with the war of 1812.Just from the style they looked like neocassical to me. :wink: Which do date 1740-1810 give or take.But then I checked the D&S mark which I believe is Dixson & Smith later Dixson & son.Dixson & Smith started 1806-1823 then become Dixson & Son 1823 - onward.Not sure where you live but you mention the 16th reg. so I'm thinking this area below. :D
http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLADIXON.html
http://www.sha.org/research_resources/documents/Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware.pdf
http://www.pastmasters.info/PewterSpoons.pdf
Its not a Dixon and sons makers mark. Its definatley rev war.

I really wish the thought of diving didn't freak me out so much. Those are some awesome finds and awesome condition! :icon_thumright:

What the heck size Mortar fired that ball? That is MASSIVE!!

The British Navy used the Armstrong cannon in large caliber, 32, 68, 110 pounders. Some were sold to the Confederate army. :dontknow: I guess it would depend on your local as to who was using something that large. Just a guess though. Nice spoons, with great initials.

:o Looks huge next to the cute little daughter . I am one who believes Rev. War spoon should get some recognition . Very Impressive and historic relics :icon_thumleft: CMD

WOW! Thats incredible! Great finds there and I bet that ball worked your butt off to recover. Nice saves there!

Getty said:
WOW! Thats incredible! Great finds there and I bet that ball worked your butt off to recover. Nice saves there!
It was a ball breaker. I used a lift bag and still had to bounce it along the bottom until I got under the boat. Then I had to dump my weight belt to swim up. No way I was leaving that monster down there!

CanDiver said:
Hi. I have been out of the water for awhile with boat issues. I finally have things organized and am back treasure hunting. What a pay off 30 minutes ago. Water find with fisher 1280x. Not one but two Regimental Large spoons of the 16th Regiment of foot. I found 1 musket ball then a piece of grape shot but I was still getting a signal. Then out popped the spoon. At the time I thought it was plain. Then about 6ft away I found three more musket balls and the second spoon. When I got home I saw the broad arrow and the the J6 I almost had a heart attack. Also has makers mark and soldiers full name in script! The other has a large RM in the bowl. I think I'll head back to that spot! I also found the largest cannon ball I've ever found yesterday. It weighs 65 pounds! Any ideas?

Great finds man! Those spoons are a real treasure. Buttons and badges are great but were produced in fairly high quantities. You won't find many hand engraved spoons with regimental numbers and initials. They are awesome!

And don't bite on the location seeking post...

Is that a later mortar ball? I don't know these things but doesn't that look like a fuse hole in the picture with your daughter? could this be a live charge? Be careful.

why does the cannon ball look like it has blue paint on it ?

gunntekk1 said:
why does the cannon ball look like it has blue paint on it ?

I think what we have here is a classic case of blue ball...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back