REV WAR USA CONTINENTAL ARMY BUTTON

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MIKE(FORINO) AND MYSELF HEADED UP TO SOME SITES WE HAVE HUNTED IN THE PAST. WE FANNED OUT FURTHER FROM THE HOLE THIS TIME.MY FIRST TARGET WAS A LEAD SHOT.ABOUT 15 MINS LATER I GOT A LARGE COPPER(MASSACHUSETTS STATE COPPER) THIS IS MY FIRST MASS COPPER.I WILL TRY AND CLEAN IT UP LATER.SOAKING NOW.
I ALSO DUG A PEWTER BUTTON AND WHEN I FLIPPED IT OVER I SAW THE LETTER "A" ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BUTTON.I KNEW RIGHT AWAY WHAT I WAS HOLDING A REVOLUTIONARY WAR CONTINENTAL ARMY BUTTON.THE U AND MOST OF THE S IS WORN OFF BUT A FIRST FOR ME AND GOING RIGHT INTO MY SHADOW BOX.
MIKE DIDN'T FARE SO WELL.HE GOT A QUEEN ELIZABETH STEEL BACKED BUTTON.IT'S A LARGE ONE AND I FORGOT TO TAKE A PIC
OVERALL A GREAT DAY OUT!
HAPPY HUNTING ALL!
i will post massachusetts copper and see how well it will clean up soon.
dave

Attachments

• usa button 1 [].jpg
    usa button 1 [].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,998
  • usa button 2 [].jpg
    usa button 2 [].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,007
  • JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 10 [].jpg
    JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 10 [].jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,977
  • JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 14 [].jpg
    JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 14 [].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,004
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Heavymetal, I think sniffy was not literal in saying "shine up" that button (don't!). Anyway, don't be discouraged, because you found something extremely rare and historic. The fact that it is so rare and OBSCURE is partly why such things don't get all the votes we sometimes think they may deserve. You have already found a banner find in my book and anyone else's book who spends their adult life hoping to find such a piece of history. (......now it's your turn to tell me how my one of two known Monroe buttons is "banner" as far as you're concerned also....and we can have a party! :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :tongue3:)
what is a monroe button? never seen one

Congrats HEAVYMETALNUT !!

USA's are special buttons !!

I've found 3 in the last 2 years in NY

Here's one of them

D.

Attachments

• usa1.jpg
    usa1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 409
Great piece of history with that button. Banner!

Derek752 said:

Here's one of them

D.
cool! thanks for sharing yours.did you make the banner when you posted that?
i don't get why mine is not up there?

"what is a monroe button? never seen one"

Ha, don't feel bad Heavymetal, Albert had only seen one too. It is the first actual campaign, button rather than inaugural button, and it was believed by Albert to be for President Monroe's 1820 campaign. There are now "two known" if it was the Albert example which sold in 2005, that one and mine. If you want to see what one looks like I have a picture of mine under best finds "best coin and button finds". Probably more of these will surface if detectorists check their backmarks!

As to your button, if I could vote a second time I would because it definately deserves to be up there. If people are hesitant because of "condition they must remember that what wear it has on it came from it being WORN on a uniform probably throughout the Revolutionary War, not from sitting in the ground, and that wear is as historically significant as the button itself. Once again, congratulations.

johnnyi said:
"what is a monroe button? never seen one"

Ha, don't feel bad Heavymetal, Albert had only seen one too. It is the first actual campaign, button rather than inaugural button, and it was believed by Albert to be for President Monroe's 1820 campaign. There are now "two known" if it was the Albert example which sold in 2005, that one and mine. If you want to see what one looks like I have a picture of mine under best finds "best coin and button finds". Probably more of these will surface if detectorists check their backmarks!

As to your button, if I could vote a second time I would because it definately deserves to be up there. If people are hesitant because of "condition they must remember that what wear it has on it came from it being WORN on a uniform probably throughout the Revolutionary War, not from sitting in the ground, and that wear is as historically significant as the button itself. Once again, congratulations.
cool johnny thanks for sharing that info.
I don't think this button is worn after discussing this with a few experts.they think it was just a bad cast.the pewter didn't flow through the mold or debris was in the mold when cast.
dave

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
I've never achieved the banner once and i'm not losing any sleep over it. You did great and everyone knows it. Congratulations.
Chris

Good attitude. Banner=bonus, satisfaction comes from finding it & contributing to your greater knowledge base.

I know you may think, well thats OK for you, as you have made it etc...
But it really has not been an aim of mine. I like IDing stuff & sharing our history with others.

What is most important to me is that you properly record this for future study. The information it gives is greater than the object itself. Its a meaningless piece of metal without context, even if it just came from a homestead!

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Derek752 said:

Here's one of them

D.
cool! thanks for sharing yours.did you make the banner when you posted that?
i don't get why mine is not up there?
I've had a few what one would consider banner finds HEAVY , but not making it is of no consequence to me :thumbsup:
I'm just glad we have a TreasureNet to post our finds on :icon_thumright: :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

When you hold that USA button in your palm ..thats your banner ! Perhaps in the future you'll be saying to yourself...Sheeesh I made the banner again.

Heres to future banner finds :icon_thumright: :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft:

D.

"What is most important to me is that you properly record this for future study. The information it gives is greater than the object itself. Its a meaningless piece of metal without context, even if it just came from a homestead!"

Crusader, you summed it up. One hundred percent on the money!

johnnyi said:
"What is most important to me is that you properly record this for future study. The information it gives is greater than the object itself. Its a meaningless piece of metal without context, even if it just came from a homestead!"

Thanks, its by doing this that we can all improve our image, & put to bed all the negative comments from those that find fault in our hobby.

Not only that but you should be proud to do so, as you would be contributing to history itself & your records will survive past your death. Thats your Legacy - how many can say this with the hobbies they do?

CRUSADER said:
johnnyi said:

Thanks, its by doing this that we can all improve our image, & put to bed all the negative comments from those that find fault in our hobby.

Not only that but you should be proud to do so, as you would be contributing to history itself & your records will survive past your death. Thats your Legacy - how many can say this with the hobbies they do?
very well put! thank you!

Great finds! Congrats on a wonderful button!

garthbfan169 said:
Awesome finds HMN WTG!! :hello2:
thank you! and to everyone else for all the nice comments and great feedback on this post
dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back