REV WAR USA CONTINENTAL ARMY BUTTON

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MIKE(FORINO) AND MYSELF HEADED UP TO SOME SITES WE HAVE HUNTED IN THE PAST. WE FANNED OUT FURTHER FROM THE HOLE THIS TIME.MY FIRST TARGET WAS A LEAD SHOT.ABOUT 15 MINS LATER I GOT A LARGE COPPER(MASSACHUSETTS STATE COPPER) THIS IS MY FIRST MASS COPPER.I WILL TRY AND CLEAN IT UP LATER.SOAKING NOW.
I ALSO DUG A PEWTER BUTTON AND WHEN I FLIPPED IT OVER I SAW THE LETTER "A" ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BUTTON.I KNEW RIGHT AWAY WHAT I WAS HOLDING A REVOLUTIONARY WAR CONTINENTAL ARMY BUTTON.THE U AND MOST OF THE S IS WORN OFF BUT A FIRST FOR ME AND GOING RIGHT INTO MY SHADOW BOX.
MIKE DIDN'T FARE SO WELL.HE GOT A QUEEN ELIZABETH STEEL BACKED BUTTON.IT'S A LARGE ONE AND I FORGOT TO TAKE A PIC
OVERALL A GREAT DAY OUT!
HAPPY HUNTING ALL!
i will post massachusetts copper and see how well it will clean up soon.
dave

Attachments

• usa button 1 [].jpg
    usa button 1 [].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,998
  • usa button 2 [].jpg
    usa button 2 [].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,007
  • JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 10 [].jpg
    JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 10 [].jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,977
  • JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 14 [].jpg
    JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 14 [].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,004
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
"now you mentioned report this to whoever is recording such varieties?
no idea what direction to turn to do such a thing?
can you guide me?
dave"

Hi Dave. I'd suggest the National Button Society as a general place to report finds. Beyong that, if you can, get hold of a copy of Warren K. Tice's book, "Uniform Buttons of the U.S. 1776-1865, which may have some suggestions for reporting finds in it.

The Albert book is very dated, and unfortunatly that is the book I have. It may be that your button is listed in Tice. To give ytou an idea of how complete the Tice book is, it is 520 pages just to 1865, whyile Albert's is 500 and spans a much greater length of time.

Anyway, let me know if you have sucess with the society. meanwhile I'll look around for who may be recording particularly the ERev War buttons now. Again, as far as I know, Tice is the man. Again, fantastic find which in my opinion deserves banner!
thank you so much for the info.i will try in that direction and see where it leads me.i just contacted don troiani and see if he replies.
thanks again!
dave

my votes in... BANNER :thumbsup:

Thats a quite a button, congrats

tinpan

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
johnnyi said:
"now you mentioned report this to whoever is recording such varieties?
no idea what direction to turn to do such a thing?
can you guide me?
dave"

Hi Dave. I'd suggest the National Button Society as a general place to report finds. Beyong that, if you can, get hold of a copy of Warren K. Tice's book, "Uniform Buttons of the U.S. 1776-1865, which may have some suggestions for reporting finds in it.

The Albert book is very dated, and unfortunatly that is the book I have. It may be that your button is listed in Tice. To give ytou an idea of how complete the Tice book is, it is 520 pages just to 1865, whyile Albert's is 500 and spans a much greater length of time.

Anyway, let me know if you have sucess with the society. meanwhile I'll look around for who may be recording particularly the ERev War buttons now. Again, as far as I know, Tice is the man. Again, fantastic find which in my opinion deserves banner!
thank you so much for the info.i will try in that direction and see where it leads me.i just contacted don troiani and see if he replies.
thanks again!
dave

He'll reply. That's the right place to determine if it might be a new variety.

Bootybay said:
how many votes do i need to get this up on the banner?
dave

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Bootybay said:
how many votes do i need to get this up on the banner?
dave

Not sure but count one more.

It's sad if slight condition issues can stop a find worn buy a soldier who fought in the American Revolution from making the Banner. The pretty buttons are probably the ones with less of a story to tell. (but unfortunately more banner worthy) I've seen more 16 D dimes and 77 Indians in the last year than I have USA buttons. Probably 6-1.

Correction... there was that 1777 USA. Killer find that was.

Agreed iron patch. Such a find is extremely rare. These pewter buttons almost Always come out of the ground in terrible condition. I've only found one in my life, an Albert's "R4" which is now recorded in the Penna. senate record. It was demolished, with all the edges chipped away. Even the best examples (albert Rv2, R3v, RVv, R2v, etc. ) are in miserable shape. Heavymetal's button is in at least fine shape, plus it even has the shank! I'm voting a second time for banner.

johnnyi said:
Agreed iron patch. Such a find is extremely rare. These pewter buttons almost Always come out of the ground in terrible condition. I've only found one in my life, an Albert's "R4" which is now recorded in the Penna. senate record. It was demolished, with all the edges chipped away. Even the best examples (albert Rv2, R3v, RVv, R2v, etc. ) are in miserable shape. Heavymetal's button is in at least fine shape, plus it even has the shank! I'm voting a second time for banner.

Yep, condition is very tough on those early pewters. I've probably found a few dozen RPs and never one that was round!

No USAs in my parts, well not suppose to be, but a friend dug a single one mixed with Rev War Loyalist & British buttons. Now if that button could talk!

leddel said:
great button Dave you got my vote for banner buddy , unless it will go to your head and you'll stop hanging with us :tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing7:
heck no dan.you guys are the best to go hunting with! that will never change.as a matter of fact i want to go more often with you guys!
dave

I vote banner, a great peice of history indeed. It is much more impressive than a diamond ring in my book and deserves its place up top.
Marty

NJ Marty said:
I vote banner, a great peice of history indeed. It is much more impressive than a diamond ring in my book and deserves its place up top.
Marty
thanks marty! i didn't know it was this big of a deal.i knew what it was but,thought they were more common than what the respnses to this post have indicated.
thanks for the votes everyone!
dave

well...Don Troiani received my e-mail and replied very vaguely saying nice button.i responded asking more info on it so,i'll keep you posted as to what his thoughts are.
thanks everyone!
dave

nice finds!!!
there's some really cool old stuff up there in the north!!!
wtg :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Dave, you really would be better of trying to contact Tice, as well as the button society. This is their specific rhealm.

johnnyi said:
Dave, you really would be better of trying to contact Tice, as well as the button society. This is their specific rhealm.

I think going to the guy who wrote the latest book on these is as good a place as any. Given his short reply there is probably nothing about the variety to make it more interesting. Tice is no question an expert, but are you talking about the British Button Society? Not sure why you think they would be better to contact than the better known American collectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back