Revisiting an Old Parkway Strip

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coming weekend marks by 9 year anniversary with my Minelab CTX-3030. It has been with me through 2 marriages and lots of sun, bugs, mud, rain, and snow. Back in summer 2013, I thought I was a CTX "pro" with over a year of swinging experience under my belt. This was a time before even Andy Sabisch had pickeed up the CTX - he was still promoting his XP Deus book.

I took my "experience" to a one-block parkway in an old Mid-Mo town. I was turned on to the site by a sweet old lady who came up to me in a park and told me how her friends would play in this parkway hill when they were kids (circa late 1940's). I had some good finds - silver dimes, Indian cents, wheats, and silver jewelry - and I was confident it was "hunted out" when I was done.

Fast forward to 2021. I was bored-detecting. You know, so bored that you will detect any site. I went to the parkway hill that I had competently hunted out 7 years ago and started swinging. My first target of the day was a wheat cent. Then a Buffalo. Then many more wheats. All at depths of no more than 4 inches! I found the Tom Mix Ralston Straight Shooter thing in 3 pieces. A kid in the 40's had to choke down a bowl of Ralston shredded wheat to get this magnifier and compass prize.

Then came the silver. A few dimes, a pendant, and an onyx broach. I was nearly done for the day when a hit a quarter signal at 6 inches. Salivating, I cut the plug to depth and looked for a silver rim. Instead, I saw this 1846 large cent smiling up at me. A few musket balls rounded out the hunt. My wheat cent total was 22. I found 4 Jefferson nickels dated 1940. From killing boredom to cleaning up. This proves that no place is completely cleaned out and that the more we use our machines, the better we become with them. Happy 9-year CTX-iversary to Chole, my ground-pounding, treasure-finding, badass girl.
IMG_20210510_112326723.jpg

Upvote 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread