What's new

Revolutionary War British Encampment Buttons?

BernieL

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I went out on a field on the Crown Point Road in Vermont which was the site of a British encampment. The site was apparently at the 20 mile point on the way to Fort Ticonderoga from Charlestown, NH. I found a couple of buttons that I can't Id and would like some help. Also one other whatzit. Thanks for any input
 

Attachments

  • IMGP0864-1.webp
    IMGP0864-1.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMGP0869.webp
    IMGP0869.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 999
  • IMGP0865.webp
    IMGP0865.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 957
  • IMGP0868.webp
    IMGP0868.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 967
  • IMGP0863.webp
    IMGP0863.webp
    13 KB · Views: 1,037
  • IMGP0864-1.webp
    IMGP0864-1.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 964
  • IMGP0869.webp
    IMGP0869.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 957
  • IMGP0865.webp
    IMGP0865.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 948
  • IMGP0868.webp
    IMGP0868.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 947
  • IMGP0863.webp
    IMGP0863.webp
    13 KB · Views: 936
Iron Patch said:
BernieL said:
Iron Patch said:
Looking again, I still think the 2nd is fairly early, but the first maybe not so much.

There's much better methods to clean buttons than oil, and I'll go as far to say oil will make many worse.

I have heard of using Naval or Aluminium Jelly for gilted buttons, but not much else. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

You are right on the big button. The detail doesn't look as sharp. I will give that a try on some other buttons. Thanks.


Hrydrogen peroxide would have done well for the second one. Cleaned the parts of crud and made the detail better, but left a green tone to look dug. You don't run them under water before or after, just the HP.

I would bet your oiled button doesn't look as good as it does in the pics. But it does have to do with personal taste as well.
 
Upvote 0
The thing about cleaning is it's a case by case basis so what works for one, may not for another. Some buttons are actuallly better left as is, maybe just the loose dirt removed. You should play a little for buttons you really don't care about. All about experience.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom