What's new

Revolutionary War Shoe Buckle?

dgrs2

Full Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
169
Reaction score
77
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st time posting...Found this along the river where there was once a revolutionary fort.
Was about 18 inches deep but was ringing strong in my ear. This fort we know was visited by Ben Franklin. Maybe he lost a shoe buckle.....just wishful thinking! Pretty nice find. Hard to believe this is almost 240 years old. It is one of my most favorite of all times find. The first picture is uncleaned. The last three are after four days of very careful cleaning.
CA03231218034486-S.webp CA03231220575834-S.webp
CA03231220581060-S.webp CA03231220582430-S.webp
 
Upvote 12
There's a fantastic free site by a guy named Whitehead that's a free downloadable pdf file and it shows all of the different shoe buckles with pics and dates them. You should check it out. Here's a few that I've found. One of my favorite things to find. Congrats on an absolute beauty bud
View attachment 1105427
View attachment 1105430
If you Google Ross Whitehead shoe buckle it should come up. It's an amazing resource

Thanks for the heads up. Googled it finally and I'm going to see if I can make a match. I'll report back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
After reading Mr. Whiteheads article, the buckle dates between 1720-1770. It was used for securing medium to large sized shoe buckles. It is made of a cast copper alloy. I still think it was Ben Franklins! This buckle is tucked away for future viewing. Thanks Treasure Net gang for your help. Very awesome. [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom