What's new

Revolutionary War Shoe Buckle?

dgrs2

Full Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
169
Reaction score
77
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st time posting...Found this along the river where there was once a revolutionary fort.
Was about 18 inches deep but was ringing strong in my ear. This fort we know was visited by Ben Franklin. Maybe he lost a shoe buckle.....just wishful thinking! Pretty nice find. Hard to believe this is almost 240 years old. It is one of my most favorite of all times find. The first picture is uncleaned. The last three are after four days of very careful cleaning.
CA03231218034486-S.webp CA03231220575834-S.webp
CA03231220581060-S.webp CA03231220582430-S.webp
 
Upvote 12
Congratulations on a difficult item to find complete:thumb_up:
 
Thanks Tokens70...it's my first revolutionary find ever.
 
Your welcome!!! Awesome first rev war relic
 
That is a rare beauty...difficult to find intact! Congrats on a great find!
 
I'm pretty sure this is a buckle. Looking at pics I have found on the Internet it does look the same. Am I correct? Is it a revolutionary war shoe buckle?
 
very nice find.
 
I'm pretty sure this is a buckle. Looking at pics I have found on the Internet it does look the same. Am I correct? Is it a revolutionary war shoe buckle?

Yes it is a shoe buckle and yes it is Rev. War era...could be before, during or after but you're in the ballpark!
 
Yes it is a shoe buckle and yes it is Rev. War era...could be before, during or after but you're in the ballpark!

Agreed, it a commonly used civilian 18th C Shoe buckle & would be near impossible to tie up with the Rev War. But it is one I'm still trying to get complete & it was the reason I was searching a likely place today.
 
Agreed, it a commonly used civilian 18th C Shoe buckle & would be near impossible to tie up with the Rev War. But it is one I'm still trying to get complete & it was the reason I was searching a likely place today.

Well, it looks like that paid off for you BIG Time :thumbsup:

:)
 
Very nice find :thumb_up: - like they say - hard to find in that kind of shape
 
Thanks for the help. The buckle has been safely sealed up and tucked away for now.
 
Had to dig this thread up. Ha! get it. This is still my all time favorite find. Met someone out last night that looked at this post a when it was originally posted.
 
Last edited:
Strap that bad boy onto your shoe, and out the door you go ! ("one, two ,buckle your shoe" ) Very nice find !
 
There's a fantastic free site by a guy named Whitehead that's a free downloadable pdf file and it shows all of the different shoe buckles with pics and dates them. You should check it out. Here's a few that I've found. One of my favorite things to find. Congrats on an absolute beauty bud
image.webp
image.webp
If you Google Ross Whitehead shoe buckle it should come up. It's an amazing resource
 
Great looking shoe buckle! There should be more good relics there.

Steve
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom