Reworked Paleo Or Just Reworked Tip?

David Ray

Sep 5, 2016
North Central Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can anybody give an opinion on this? It has been reworked at a later date, I think, and the only reason I ask is because I found what appears to be a small Clovis-type point near the same place several years ago which I include also IMG_0453.JPGIMG_0454.JPGIMG_0455.JPGIMG_0459.JPGIMG_0464.JPG...

Upvote 0
Someone will probably chime in. I can't. The clovis looks like it was pretty used up and is a great find.

Patina and flaking definitely not the same as original broke point. Maybe picked up and reworked as a small knife at a later time. Could have been broken Paleo, without base hard to tell. Nice Clovis, you definitely need to pound that spot, may be more there.

Almost impossible to find Paleo here on land...at least for me. I did find two more bases of what looks Paleo, but I am not sure. Thanx.

Some of the points from Page Ladson (Northern Florida) look like the piece you have (so pre-Clovis) but without decent strata it's hard to make a call on some pieces. It could be really old and complete. It could be a reworked paleo tip by a later group. It could be a later tip reworked by someone anciently.

Neat little points, good finds.

IMG_0652.JPGIMG_0654.JPGIMG_0658.JPGIMG_0659.JPGIMG_0661.JPGThanx. What do you think of these? I found them there too. The little one in this pic is just like my first post. Both worked to a sharp point but the bases on both are ground very flat on the backsides.

Last edited:
Bottom picture looks like an interesting hand held spoke shave. Is the top ground?

Yes, it looks in shape and form like an edgefield scraper, but I heard they are made from Bolens which this base doesn't look like. It is ground flat on top but has some plow damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back