What's new

rhodium..whats it good for?

donkarlos

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2012
Messages
658
Reaction score
309
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
So I hike about a mile to my favorite beach hole to find it a little too sanded in. I spend a couple hours anyway and head back with a buck and a dog tag...you know how the ole story goes..
"So I'm headed directly back, not really even swinging the detector but walking and coasting it on the ground, and I find this:"


ForumRunner_20131009_213721.webp

I didn't even think it was a ring because it seemed like junk plastic jewlry.
But later I checked it out and its size 52 with a circled C and swan hallmark.
Turns out to be rhodium plated and crystals. Can't get too much faker than that!
 
Upvote 0
Here's the same design, different marks. This one is marked 925 1/10 14k....so basically it's plated with the same crystals as well. But they sure look good in the scoop! :laughing7:
925.webp
 
Yeah I guess rhodium doesn't tarnish very much.. I thought it was some kind of die cast plastic earring at first. I didn't even have to clean it at all
 
I have a white gold and black rhodium wedding ring. First time I washed my hands, black color washed off.
 
Rhodium is commonly used to keep silver from tarnishing, lots of silver "bling " jewelry is rhodium plated.

Wayne
 
My wedding ring is 14k white gold with rhodium plating on it. When I look at my ring it is clearly rubbing away. This is after three years of everyday wear. Swarovski crystal likes to rhodium plate their jewelry as well (although usually over copper or steel).
 
Wow so It's pretty popular it seems
 
I was going to say, the swan is the Swarovski hallmark. I have one of their 925 bracelets with burnished crystals.
Check for Swarovski eternity band, may find some to compare with, or get a price idea.
 
My wedding ring is 14k white gold with rhodium plating on it. When I look at my ring it is clearly rubbing away. This is after three years of everyday wear. Swarovski crystal likes to rhodium plate their jewelry as well (although usually over copper or steel).
Yeah, I read somewhere that white gold rings will lose the rhodium plating over time...you can get them re plated...when the plating comes off, the white gold is a light pale looking yellow...Ive found a couple of white gold rings without the plating.
 
I wouldn't mind a Rhodium ring. Rhodium is a member of the Platinum family. It currently is going for $1000.00 an ounce. It's used on higher end jewelry that uses white gold. Especially higher karat white gold. It is a very bright shiny metal and is resistant to tarnishing. Which is why it's used to plate white gold.
 
Unfortunately, I think rhodium is also used on "lower end" gold jewelry. I found a 10k white gold band that is quite tarnished (like yellow gold peeking through) in places. It seems that some modern "White gold" jewelry is actually yellow gold with a rhodium plating. I have a white gold wedding band from 43 years ago that is still the same color as it was the day I put it on my finger. That is because the white gold was made as an alloy and not a plating. I would not buy a yellow gold ring plated with rhodium and expect the plating never to wear off. Cheaper, pretty finished product but the finish doesn't last. In your case I am not sure what the rhodium plating is over. Could be gold, silver or copper. Hope it turns out to be good for you. Beach papa
 
I'm thinking this ring is at the low end of low grade jewelry. 9 of the 18 crystals are missing. It might make s good project ring or bury it in the test garden once I figure out the base metal. I appreciate the rhodium information and experiences people shared.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom