What's new

Rhyolite and quartz.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
IT has been months without a find. I'm in the process of moving and working 6 days a week so I've had no time at all. Went out for a bit at halftime to a place five minutes from home and ended up being there the whole third quarter of the game. Go Ravens. I got to the river and the shoreline was totally different with rocks moved all over. We haven't had storms or much wind to move the water so I guess I was just lucky to get there after a powerful tide. A extremely resharpened side notch rhyolite. Probably a brewerton. And a stemmed quartz probably bare island definetly a piedmont variety point. I'll post pics of the quartz one once it's outta it's soak. I think it's gonna be very translucent and have some orange in it. Also found a jasper core busted a mid section and a busted quartz knife. Left a ton of flakes.
 

Attachments

  • image-2783563629.webp
    image-2783563629.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image-1812874045.webp
    image-1812874045.webp
    69.4 KB · Views: 156
  • image-1783322401.webp
    image-1783322401.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
Nice! I'd just check the score later.
 
Last edited:
Nice having a smart phone to keep me updated on what's goin on in the game while I'm hunting
 
Looks like you scored today... a two point conversion! !
 
Is it really blue or is it the picture? Both look good to me Id be happy with them.
 
Yes it's definetly blue. Rhyolite comes in a lot of different shades. Blue grey purple white. Banded spotted( which is called snowflake). I've even got a tiny purple pink point that I'm pretty sure is rhyolite. Usually it's a grey blue but it is almost always different point to point. These are all different but all rhyolite. Without sunlight the color won't pop.
 

Attachments

  • image-2805769893.webp
    image-2805769893.webp
    58.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image-2640255562.webp
    image-2640255562.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2830765845.webp
    image-2830765845.webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image-914515533.webp
    image-914515533.webp
    105 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2010491484.webp
    image-2010491484.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 130
  • image-1794741134.webp
    image-1794741134.webp
    68.2 KB · Views: 133
Very nice I would love to find a blue one. I have only found 1 scraper that has some red in it. Red would also be a nice color to find.
 
I've got a few red halfs and one almost full one. Not sure on the material. It's a tiny one I found in an eroded area of runoff near a river.
 

Attachments

  • image-273903119.webp
    image-273903119.webp
    116.2 KB · Views: 135
I did forget I got a mystery jar from a antique store last week that had a red one in it. But I havent found any myself in my hunting spots I go too. It also had a Waller knife in it made of Coastal Chert. The Waller paid for the whole thing if I ever sell it.
 
So help me out, what the &$@! Am i lookin at here...
 

Attachments

  • image-2293813109.webp
    image-2293813109.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 125
  • image-2954410244.webp
    image-2954410244.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image-3703685921.webp
    image-3703685921.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1924835921.webp
    image-1924835921.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 120
First 3 look to be quartzite. The last I'm not sure. Doesn't look to be rhyolite.
 
very cool! These are great finds.
 
Here's some quartzite examples.
 

Attachments

  • image-703968198.webp
    image-703968198.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image-2030267334.webp
    image-2030267334.webp
    68.9 KB · Views: 120
Buddy of mine found a real nice side notch out of that same rock you just put up... Then he traded it for a 12 pack of bud....
 
Glad you got out Bsit. It is hard to find the time when you are busy. Looks like a fun area to hunt. The only tide here is when the generate electricity and drop the waters,lol.
Nice finds
 
bsit1361 said:
IT has been months without a find. I'm in the process of moving and working 6 days a week so I've had no time at all. Went out for a bit at halftime to a place five minutes from home and ended up being there the whole third quarter of the game. Go Ravens. I got to the river and the shoreline was totally different with rocks moved all over. We haven't had storms or much wind to move the water so I guess I was just lucky to get there after a powerful tide. A extremely resharpened side notch rhyolite. Probably a brewerton. And a stemmed quartz probably bare island definetly a piedmont variety point. I'll post pics of the quartz one once it's outta it's soak. I think it's gonna be very translucent and have some orange in it. Also found a jasper core busted a mid section and a busted quartz knife. Left a ton of flakes.

That second pic. Is like where's Waldo. Took me a minute. On a phone screen at that. Good eye!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom