Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How would you go about sampling some soil on a ridge that I have to hike up to without water or a dry wash type sluice.
I think I might have to put some samples in one gallon zip lock bags and pack them out. At least it would be downhill. LOL
I believe I have seen the backpack type dry washers but the hillside is to steep to set one up.
No road no trail and steep.
Any help on this would be great.

Upvote 0

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Oakstrails, don't know if this will help, I could use a little myself 2 weeks ago I used a medium sized backpack to haul some samples about 600 vertical feet back up too the ridge and road and truck to be processed at home. Got skunked but I wasn't real happy with the spot I dug or the tools I had with me would have liked to gotten deeper. Used my half in. classifier in the top of the pack and scooped and shook till I thought that's all I could carry out.
Good luck
OBD

OP
OP
Oakstrails

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I hit that ridge and brought out so much material I thought I wouldn't make it out with the bucket I had filled 3/4 full. The Backpack was so full I could hardly get it on my back all less than 1/4 mesh. Didn't have enough light left to get it all processed. I'll try to get more up when I have a better picture of my findings. Definitely had the legs burning a few times . LOL

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Good work out for you Oaks, hope your samples show some color.
OBD

Prospecting P.

Mar 1, 2013
Port Townsend - Tacoma, Washington
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i built a backpack that i can haul a bucket on. works good, its just a old boy scout backpack frame. i pack around 60 pounds of gear on it when i adventure out. it's been working real nice

OP
OP
Oakstrails

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I hit that ridge and brought out so much material I thought I wouldn't make it out with the bucket I had filled 3/4 full. The Backpack was so full I could hardly get it on my back all less than 1/4 mesh. Didn't have enough light left to get it all processed. I'll try to get more up when I have a better picture of my findings. Definitely had the legs burning a few times . LOL

***********************************************************************************************************************
It was a real good work out. Got home and weighed my pack... LOL 80 pounds. I think that's a record for me :tongue3: Just starting to go through the material. Nothing to really speak of out of sample #3. A totally shattered buried quartz vein. I really thought I would get something from that one. The bottom of the canyon I was in was kind of interesting. Check out this Video. A 1915 train rail, manufactured in Ohio and part of a debris catcher for a culvert under the 15 Freeway, Cajon Pass, CA. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=569926963031178&set=vb.100000416371408&type=2&theater

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upload your videos to youtube they are allowed at work usually while facebook is not.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Will the material breakup enough to try Dry Panning? If so,it would allow you to sample pan on sight.

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Would it be worth it to pack a gallon or two of water with you instead of 50 to 100lbs of material out? Just pan your sample of the spot. Bring a wide tub with you to fit a pan in.unless that is not an option. Just my two cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread