Riffles

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Any sheet metal shop can bend ya up some. Just give them the dimensions and angle you want.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you will save a bunch of money if you bend your own and have it all ready to weld when you bring it to a welder.the riffels can be easily bent using two boards and sandwich the alum inbetween them and tap them over to the angle you want. have them cut to lenght before you bend them,and then with two peices of alum strap about 1/8 x 2 inchs tall. make a jig if you can so theyll all be set the same tilt and the welder wont have to guess or mess with it. to bad you dont live just down the street from me!

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
keene riffles are pretty cheap (about 40 bucks)

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SCP

if thats too much then find some used riffles from a trashed dredge or sluice on craigslist.(thats what i did)

it cost as much to have them built as it does to just buy them unless you want to waste a bunch of time at scrap yards and have your own equipment(welder, break, shear, etc)

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
i use both expanded metal and riffles together and it works great.

i have no clue what you are talking about, do you have a picture?

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
beaks said:
i use both expanded metal and riffles together and it works great.

i have no clue what you are talking about, do you have a picture?

I think he is referring to Number 8 expanded metal, likely aluminum, as that is the only one I've found available in 8 gauge. Like on this page:
http://anssteel.thomasnet.com/viewi...-metals/standard-expanded-aluminum?&forward=1

Expanded-Metal.jpg

You can also buy expanded steel, stainless steel, and titanium, but due to the characteristics of these metals, some sizes are not available.

F.

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
oh ok so he is just using expanded without riffles.

that only works if you dont have a bunch of rocks going through knocking the gold out.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
beaks said:
oh ok so he is just using expanded without riffles.

that only works if you dont have a bunch of rocks going through knocking the gold out.

Actually, expanded metal works quite well....

There two types of expanded metal- regular and flattened. The flattened stuff is the stuff most people see in store bought sluices underneath your riffles; but the normal expanded metal each diamond is still standing up like a riffle. They are riffles, hundreds of them..... and fantastic at catching gold. :wink:

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
lol i know a little about expanded metal (ive been doing welding and sheet metal work off and on all my life)and have used it for gold recovery as well but its too easy to lose gold using just expanded metal because it loads up too fast and the larger rocks kick out the values if you dont classify down pretty small (depending on your material and the size, etc).

even if you classify everything down you will lose gold if you have a buttload of heavy cons(i tried it for a full day with two a52's each cleaned every couple of buckets one with expanded and one with the stock riffles/expanded and the stock a52 won)i also used catch pans and both lost some gold but the expanded lost a buttload.

my main problem is garnets that let the gold blow over the expanded, in that test i pulled about 3 cups of garnets out of my cons in the stock a52 and some good gold, in the expanded i got a few specks and a bunch of loaded riffles (both were fed from the same buckets at the same time)

i sold the a52 with the expanded metal because it didnt work well.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Well, I too have been working in sheet metal most of my life....LOL! What a coincidence!

However unlike your area I don't have loads of garnet screwing with recovery. I understand that garnet sand is very tough to deal with in certain areas.

I can assure you expanded metal works great if you dont have the garnet sand problem. Are you up near the panhandle?

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
i am i weatherford but most of the rivers that contain gold in texas are also loaded with garnets (i hate garnets lol)

i learned to pan in a garnet rich area and it sucked to no end but i found some good color(BUT! i bet i lost five times more than i got in the end)

yep i loved sheet metal work but im just too beat up to do it anymore full time.
now i just work with my chems and refine with a little prospecting thrown in every chance i get.

i think it would work better with an 10'x24" sluice with heavy expanded on the bottom and punch plate or smaller expanded about an inch above, with some good flow that may work pretty well (im going check it out one of these days just for kicks)

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hungarian Riffles !

Here is a picture of my sluice box. I purchased the original off E-Bay then I modified it for my needs.
I have the ribbed carpet full length; Then on the top portion I have installed some rubber ribbed mat. To catch the fine stuff. A couple of open riffles, then some miners moss at the end. Again trying to catch the fines.
If you look close the end of the sluice it has a 1/2" dam keeping the fines from working there way out of the end.
Good luck at building your sluice.

Bumpstick.

Attachments

• Sluice Box 007C2.jpg
    Sluice Box 007C2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 855

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet looking sluice.....good ideas..... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread