What's new

Rifle cartridge from possible gun blowup.

silverswede

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
791
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Found this today at a campsite. The only remaining numbers on the head stamp are a 30 and a F S . the case is bent and wrinkled with a sort of a twist pattern and the head stamp is half gone. Could this have happened if the rifle barrel had got plugged with some thing and then fired? The site is in a popular deer/elk hunting area.
 

Attachments

  • blown cartridge.webp
    blown cartridge.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 819
  • twisted cartridge.webp
    twisted cartridge.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 685
  • blown cartridge 2.webp
    blown cartridge 2.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 672
kenley said:
Wow..I guess I am loosing it. I "air u-loaded" that damn rifle in my lap a dozen times and still got it assbackwards. Like looking at the drain plug under the car. I have to turn it over in my mind. I am leaning toward the "live fire" target practice due to the gouge flowing toward the neck of the case and the missing(blown out) primer. I can't explain the twist, unles it was done in a stuck re-loading die and the sacrificed later when it wouldn't chamber. Anyway, it's a lively discussion.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that the "Rim damage is torn forward" and not aft. If it
wasn't in a fire, I'd go with the theory of being shot with another projectile. I've offered to do the lab
analysis on the brass (this would prove or disprove the fire theory) if its important enough to anyone.

A reloading die is much like a rifle chamber in that you are resizing the dimensions so it will re-chamber
the next time. You can't bow the shell casing or cause the rippled distortions by extracting a stuck case
in a sizing die, even if your prying it out with a screw driver. We reload for the M134 Minigun, 50M2,
and 20MM using Air/Hydraulic production machinery and deal with stuck cases in the dies all the time.
Once a stuck case moves .015-.020....its free and never has enough angular force.....or room in the die,
to bend a case. We have ripped the rim off many bottle neck shell casings in the last 35 years of
ammunition re manufacturing....but we've never bent or distorted one like this. We produce literly
millions of rounds of different ammunition a year.
For those that have foolishly tossed live ammunition into a campfire (as we did in our youth), you
quickly learn that the unchambered cartridge can't develope enough pressure to rupture the case before
the bullet exits.....and in many cases the unsupported primer pops and blows out before the powder
get hot enough to ignite. Shotshells, centerfire, and rimfire all react about the same. This is why
ammunition in a burning house doesn't pose much of a lethal threat to the Fire Fighters. You can
definitely lose an eye though.
The "what if's" can go on forever.... If "you" can reproduce the effects on "this" shell casing by other
theories.....please show us. School's never out.

Here is something else to think about. If another projectile struck the rim on the edge that is
ripped forward....notice that this is the "same" side of the shell casing that is bowed? Imagine if you
put this shell in a vise and squeezed in the same areas.....in compression....would this not be the result?
Now consider that if the rim in that area was being "pulled" in tension (like you say would happen
during extraction of a stuck case).....wouldn't the bow be on the opposite side (provided there was
room for the bending action.....which there isn't).... ???

"Quote"....Anyway, it's a lively discussion. Indeed.....its all good. Hey.... its the Internet.
New discoveries would never be made......nor would anything be learned....if we agreed with
or believed the first answer or explaination that came along.
 
Upvote 0
One last..and I say last. I didn't have a vice in mind, I just simply stuck my air target in the crack of a tree or stump. We had a clown drop about 20, 30-06 rounds in a campfire, and they were still in the cloth machine gun belt. (am I showing my age?) most of the brass went outside the camp area and most of the projectile were in the ashes. They might have been pointing down, I wasn't looking at the fire. I was behind a log looking at coloney of fire ants.
 
Upvote 0
If you shove a case into a reloading die and the dase is too long for the die it will bulge like that. And it might stick in the die. Rather than pry it out and to avoid scratching the die you would try to knock it out from the top with an undersize punch. But you would not find a chunk knocked out from the rim like tht. Now if you wee a novice you might try to pry it out from the bottom but the sliver is going the wrong direction. I have crumpled cases similarly trying to form shorter cases in a die (.308 from .30-06 cases for instance) and they crinkled up like that near the neck of the case, but they didn't come out bent at an angle. So if it ain't from a fire I give up! Monty
PS. I've been reloading and forming cases for over 40 years.
 
Upvote 0
Me too. When I tried to form .22 Jet cases from .357 Magnums about half of them collapsed at the neck just like that example. ;-)

Who even remembers the .22 Jet? :D
 
Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Me too. When I tried to form .22 Jet cases from .357 Magnums about half of them collapsed at the neck just like that example. ;-)

Who even remembers the .22 Jet? :D

I have the S&W in the box.... don't shoot it much. Nice pistol.
 
Upvote 0
They quit making the Jet in a revolver after the first run because it often stuck in the cylinder being, it a bottleneck case. It also had a tendency to gas cut the top strap. I remember it well. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom