Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Dug this item along with some Connecticut coat buttons, eagle buttons, thimble, squeeze box reeds and an early ram rod guide (also pictured) at an isolated picket point. Is this a rifle sling swivel, and if so what weapon?

swivel1..JPG swivel2..JPG swivel3..JPG shane..JPG

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering that it was found with the ramrod pipe, it could be a sling swivel, or the front stacking swivel that was used to stand the muskets in the tri-pod position in camp. Nice finds, they appear to be in great shape. HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Considering that it was found with the ramrod pipe, it could be a sling swivel, or the front stacking swivel that was used to stand the muskets in the tri-pod position in camp. Nice finds, they appear to be in great shape. HH

The soil here in SC coastal is very sandy and well draining, so we are quite lucky with the condition of a lot of the relics we dig.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't have the correct shape for a rifle/musket sling swivel. It is shaped like a drawer-pull. Note its size (approximately 2.5-inches wide), and the bulge in the center of the loop. That size and shape seems appropriate for two fingertips (which are round) to fit into, and grip. A sling swivel's loop-bar is flat, to match the flat belt/sling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ramrod entry pipe being pinned is encouraging age wise , generous dimensions of swivels brings to mind the mass of a bess musket. between the three you should find an answer with more experienced views or research. congrats on recoveries.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell you with 99% certainty that your item is neither a sling swivel or a drawer pull, but rather a "drop door handle" off of a carriage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
. It is shaped like a drawer-pull. Note its size (approximately 2.25-inches wide), and the bulge in the center of the loop. That size and shape seems appropriate for two fingertips (which are round) to fit into, and grip. A sling swivel's loop-bar is flat, to match the flat belt/sling.

My first thought when I dug it up was a drawer pull. The thing that confuses my about it being for a drawer pull is that the base is designed to be set into something and and rotate in an up or out motion. It has a beveled hole on one side of the base and a threaded hole opposite, so it was attached with a single flat head machine screw of some sort.

Some sort of early field desk maybe?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can tell you with 99% certainty that your item is neither a sling swivel or a drawer pull, but rather a "drop door handle" off of a carriage.

Cool. Any idea of what period carriage?

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
cannonball guys logic is sound. in checking brown bess pics ,sling s are on rather squarish bail looking devices with majority of lower pipes with a generously long flat tapered tail.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions