Right Under My Nose

bkraw2000

Oct 15, 2008
Muskego WI
Detector(s) used
garrett gta x550
Built A house in far northern WI in 1993. (vacation home) This was the first building on this land. On a private lake, no real access for anyone but the few houses on the lake. Water is VERY low right now about 7 feet (extra 40 feet of shoreline) Apparently, I was not the first here!! I found LOTS of things!! most junk. But I did find what appears to be a single shot hand gun. Many Many spent shells. The remains of a old watch (flip open style) Many tools. hand drill, axe head, sickle, pick axe, files. A couple of horse shoes. Old fishing lures, and 1 old reel. Blue, green glass bottles. While digging for what ended up being a rifle shell, I found 2 Wheels?? Appear to stone. about 12 inches in diameter one inch thick with about a 2 inch square cut into the middle. Don't know what those might have come from. Assortment of square nails.

According to maps I found, this was vacant land. At least from the 30's on. Don't know what went on here, but now I wanna find out.!! Whoever was here may have left in a hurry. left all the tools even found the remains of an old lace up style boot. There is so much to dig, it might take awhile anyone that might be able to connect me with someone that could find out the history of this land would be great!! Logging camp Maybe?? The property is just outside of Woodruff WI.

I can get some pics of the finds I got today when I get home next week. (no camera) oh and (gulp) dial up internet. Any help would be great Thanks!!

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Those stone wheels you found are grinding stones. Hang on to them because people like to collect them.

Great finds!!!!

OP
OP
bkraw2000

bkraw2000

Oct 15, 2008
Muskego WI
Detector(s) used
garrett gta x550
You were right on with the grinding wheel thing.. Dont know why i didnt notice it before. The 2 wheels fit together perfectly to form one thicker wheel. Split right down the middle... Damn the sun going down and cold weather.. Cant wait till morning to find what else there is to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know the approx years these were used?? I want to try to figure out how old this stuff is and maybe a hint as to what I should search for..

T

The.Boomer

Yep sounds like you found the remnants of an old mill with the mill stones still there. :thumbsup:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has the lake always been there? They might have even flooded an old town to create the lake.

OP
OP
bkraw2000

bkraw2000

Oct 15, 2008
Muskego WI
Detector(s) used
garrett gta x550
It is a seepage lake (no inlet or outlet) The maps I found as far back as the thirtys show the lake here. None of the locals seem to know of anything later than the 50's. Maybe the museum in town will know more.. Try that tomorrow.

OP
OP
bkraw2000

bkraw2000

Oct 15, 2008
Muskego WI
Detector(s) used
garrett gta x550
Just as an update, after 12 hours today found little more than i did yesterday. more tools, misc. junk Begining to think it was just a place someone dumped their garbage :( more junk than can be imagined all in a 30 square foot area what a bummer

S

seger98

wow, a nice assortment of finds, When I get back in the spring I'll look you up, I'm not that far from your house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread