Ring/Bullet?/Button Identification Help

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these all in my front yard a few hours ago. I have some questions about them I wrote above each different item.

I was super bummed about this.. I must have snagged it with the tip of my lesche when prying up and snapped it.. Anyways, I know it says sterling on the side, but is it really? I tried to take a close up of where it snapped so you can see the inside material. Also should I check back in the hole for stones? seems like they were glued in, so might not be worth it since worthwhile stones aren't glued in huh?

pmMxht1h.jpg

HAQa96kh.jpg

GWhropVh.jpg

htNAqAbh.jpg

5vKNWLDh.jpg

This button says "Oxfordshire Buckinghamshire" on it, which are each two areas next to each other in England. Not sure if it's from the military or what, the rust on the back might suggest it isn't?

2PVGvcmh.jpg

BdcOmL3h.jpg

I think this is a bullet? It has 3 rings on it, possibly even four? The bottom and top ring(if it is a ring) is hard to see due to how it was warped. Wondering what type of bullet this is, if it is in fact a bullet.

lu7jMghh.jpg

MauxEAQh.jpg

NoxjbyYh.jpg

mGXBZpBh.jpg

Upvote 0

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To check the Sterling, get a precious metals acid test kit. Best way to find out.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The ring is silver. Stamped "sterling", and looks good for coming out of the ground. The stones were junk... glass... paste... costume jewelry... whatever you want to call them. As for breaking the ring. It happens... more often than I would like to admit. Congrats on finding a silver ring! Score.

The bullet is relatively modern... not a CW three ringer, just an older lead bullet with rings.

I know nothing about the button.

Good luck and go find some more!

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys :)

I will look into getting a tester kit. I figured the stones would be junk with how they were seated. What do you guys do with broken rings like this? It's weird how disappointed I am in myself for not being careful enough. I even purposely pitched in far away from where I thought it was and pried extremely wide to make sure I didn't hit or snag it... :/ Is there a way to repair it, is it even worth it? Just curious what you guys do when this happens.

I have a feeling the button is not military related but more so a fashion/decoration button.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ring can always be repaired.. when ring is sized it's cut and silver soldered. That may have been where it was soldered.

If you want it fixed cheaply or free try a jewelery school.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I'm not sure what a jewelry school is and haven't heard of one, but I am interested enough to find out and seeing if they would like to teach me how to solder repair a ring. I do love playing with fire and melting things :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions