Ring Found

TonyK

Jan 4, 2021
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt GA-72, Geometrix G-858, Geophex GEM-2, Geonix EM-31, S&S Noggin 100 & 250 MHz GPR, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! This is an exciting day because it is my first ring discovery. Found it along the Oregon coast inside a rocky cove with a small sandy beach area at about 18" deep beneath a rock. It looks old, but who knows these days with all the retro items out there. It's metal, but not ferrous, possibly tarnished silver? This is the same area I've been finding old spikes and nails, among other iron objects. Any help identifying the symbols is appreciated. KIMG0007.JPG KIMG0009.JPG KIMG0008.JPG KIMG0010.JPG KIMG0011.JPG

Upvote 24

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first ring find. I would think it is tarnished silver also. Hopefully the first of many more to come.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I see a 925 stamp inside the ring. Nice!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tony

The design is based on what are called "Celtic knots". Not much prospect of dating it without a maker's mark. These are traditional patterns that have been in use for a very long time and are a popular choice for new agers and the hipster generation today. Widely available from contemporary jewellers.

Celtic.jpg

Looks like it should clean up nicely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyK

Jan 4, 2021
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt GA-72, Geometrix G-858, Geophex GEM-2, Geonix EM-31, S&S Noggin 100 & 250 MHz GPR, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat, Thanks for the info!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat, Thanks for the info!!

You're welcome. One other thing to know. In the US there was no requirement to put a maker's mark (responsibility mark) on jewellery with a purity indication until 1961. So if, after cleaning it up, you can see no maker name or trademark alongside "Sterling" then it's at least before that date.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome first ring! Congrats! I love the design!

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you air test with your equinox it should ring up in the quarter range of 29 to 33 to confirm silver. Some easy chemistry can restore its look.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can also put it on top of an ice cube and it should start melting into the ice cube pretty quickly. Silver has a thermal conductivity of 428 watts per meter Kelvin higher than gold and copper.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
big time gratz on the first ring! A beauty at that........

OP
OP
T

TonyK

Jan 4, 2021
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat, the only stamp I can find is the 925 (92.5% silver) on the inside. I did find an identical ring on Etsy for sale that was marketing it as "rare" and the last one in stock. However, there was no history on the manufacturer, date, etc. Thanks again..

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Red-Coat, the only stamp I can find is the 925 (92.5% silver) on the inside. I did find an identical ring on Etsy for sale that was marketing it as "rare" and the last one in stock. However, there was no history on the manufacturer, date, etc. Thanks again..

?Rare? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

A great find for you Tony, congratulations! I still have any ring I?ve found but my first (junk) will always be special. Enjoy it.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, not rare... that's the seller trying to talk up the price. But without a maker indication a '925' marked ring will at least be vintage (just)... ie before 1961. America began embracing the Sterling standard from the 1860s onwards and the use of the '925' mark as an alternative for the word 'Sterling' generally began in 1906... although I doubt the ring is that old.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big congrats on finding your first Ring - a very nice one too !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread