✅ SOLVED Ringtail sharps?

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it that?s this is a genuine bonafide ringtail sharps. If so, this is a first for me in Louisiana. image.jpg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful recovery and thank you for sharing..Perhaps for me
20/20 eyesight and good luck definitely would be helpful ....

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That particular version of "Old Model" .52 Sharps bullet, whose distinctly conical body-shape shape somewhat resembles a Christmas Tree, is believed to be strictly Confederate-made. Up here in Virginia, we dig that version only in CS camps, never yankee. Thought you'd want to know.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I forgot to mention, the main ID-clue for this bullet is the fact that each ring is a bit wider and thicker than the one above it. That, and the bullet's sharp-pointed nose, are what give it the distinctive conical shape which resembles a Christmas Tree. No other .52-caliber Ringtail has all those characteristics. (The tie-ring base is the tree's "stand.") See the photo below.

Attachments

• bullet_Sharps_52caliber_Ringtail_Christmas-Tree-conical_T&T120_photobyHenrique_495-1.jpg
    bullet_Sharps_52caliber_Ringtail_Christmas-Tree-conical_T&T120_photobyHenrique_495-1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cannonball...is the base solid or conical??? found a couple of those out here also..used during Indian campaigns I guess...

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TimberCrack asked:
> Cannonball...is the base solid or conical??? found a couple of those out here also..used during Indian campaigns I guess...

The base of .52-caliber Sharps Ringtail bullets is always solid. There is a very rare .56-caliber Sharps Ringtail bullet which has a deep base-cavity. See bullets #120 (.52-caliber "Christmas-Tree Ringtail") and #121 (.56-caliber Ringtail with base-cavity) in the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by James E. and Dean S. Thomas.

Upvote 0

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it. TheCannonBallGuy is always on it. I love to read his replies and learn from him.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
TimberCrack asked:
> Cannonball...is the base solid or conical??? found a couple of those out here also..used during Indian campaigns I guess...

The base of .52-caliber Sharps Ringtail bullets is always solid. There is a very rare .56-caliber Sharps Ringtail bullet which has a deep base-cavity. See bullets #120 (.52-caliber "Christmas-Tree Ringtail") and #121 (.56-caliber Ringtail with base-cavity) in the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by James E. and Dean S. Thomas.

TCBG, always Jonny on the Spot with the answer, with a quick description and information to back it up, with a dash of history added in. This is what makes his answers, this forum and its members so awesome.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread