Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip 2-18-11. Arguably my best ever. 2 more 'firsts' off the list

Hit the road at 7:30 this morning in search of halves and "big" dollars. I did not find a single big dollar. As I returned home at 6:30 pm, I was absolutely positive I had my worst trip ever. I only knew of 3 40%ers in my "take" for the day. Most banks had few halves if any, and in the few locations where I picked up a decent amount, either the tellers told me they had already searched them, or it reeked of dump city. I didn't search the handrolls or bags until I returned home to maximize time on the road. Thankfully I was very very surprised.

Town 1 (2 banks): #1 - $4.50 loose (skunk). #2 - $2 loose (1 40%).

Town 2 (7 banks): #1 - none. #2 - $6.50 loose (skunk). #3 - 1 clad half. #4 - $10 handroll (skunk). #5 - none. #6 - $8 loose (skunk). #7 - $12 loose (skunk), $210 handrolled (2 40%, '83S clad proof, '74D DDO) Teller informed me there would be no silver as they "search them all." Must have missed a couple.

Town 3 (1 bank): none

Town 4 (2 banks): #1 - $12 loose (skunk). #2 - $2 loose (skunk), $210 handrolled, again the teller told me they had been searched for silver (49 40% including my first solid roll of silver!! & a '82P no FG). Silver all came from 3 rolls. Tellers let a couple of rolls slip by them! ;D

Town 5 (7 banks): #1 - none. #2 - none. #3 - $1.50 (skunk). #4 - none. #5 - none. #6 - $1.50 (skunk). #7 - $1 (skunk)

Town 6 (8 banks): #1 - none. #2 - $2 (skunk). #3 - $30 handrolls (1 roll $2 short, but contained a '43 Walker). #4 - $1 (skunk). #5 - $11 loose (skunk). #6 - none. #7 - none. #8 - $1 (skunk)

Town 7 (2 banks): #1 - none. #2 - $1.50 (skunk)

Town 8 (2 banks): #1 - $70 handrolls (rolls short $2.50, '54D Ben). #2 - $3 (skunk)

Town 9 (8 banks): #1 - THE STOP OF THE DAY! *see below. #2 - none. #3 - none. #4 - $26.50 loose (2 40%). #4 - none. #5 - none. #6 - none. #7 - none. #8 - none

Town 10 (1 bank): $2.50 loose, $40 handrolls (skunk)

* I walk into the bank and immediately notice a coin counter. I ask the teller about halves and he states that he has $260 in rolls and a $500 bag off the machine. Of course I say I'll take them all. He insists on re-running the bag (in a back room) to be sure the count is accurate. I can just imagine him back there plucking the silver. lol He's gone 15 minutes+ and comes back with the bag and says it only has $443.50 in it. I'd have bet my house he plucked the silver now, but he calls his supervisor over and tells her about the shortage stating he ran the bag 3 times just to be sure. He plops the $260 in rolls down and to my dismay they're all re-wraps in those familiar yellow and white Loomis rolls with one end taped shut. I chit chat with the two of them a bit and ask if they would pull the bag thats currently on the machine. I got the standard "when its full" reply. I asked the supervisor if she would mind checking to see how much is in it. She does and tells me that its 5 half dollars away from filling at $1000. I hand her 5 clad halves from my bag. She fills it and that same teller takes it in the back to check it. This time he returns promptly and says the count is accurate. I grab my $1701 worth of halves and I'm out the door.

The re-wraps were all clad as I knew they would be. The $443.50 bag produced 6 40%, 1 '64 Ken, so maybe he didn't cull anything. My second handful out of the $997.50 bag produces a Walker. 4th handfull produces 2 more. When all was said and done, that bag gave up 41 40%, 6 '64 Kens, 2 Bens, 17 Walkers, and my first silver commemorative, a 1951 Carver/Washington

Totals for the day: 300 miles driven hitting 40 banks in 10 towns. $2371 searched producing 101 40%, 7 '64 Kens, 3 Bens, 18 Walkers, and a 1951 Carver/Washington 90% silver commemorative.

Not my absolute best silver totals for a roadtrip (I think its 2nd best), but its my favorite score so far because of the solid roll, Walkers, and the commem.

Upvote 0

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Road trip 2-18-11. Arguably my best ever. 2 more 'firsts' off the list

That's a heck of a day right there. :icon_thumleft:

HH

Nick

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Wow.. that's a lot of work but hey.. your end results prove it was well worth it. :icon_thumleft:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

wow!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing scores!!!!!! im speechless!!!!!!!

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOWZERZ!!! You really cleaned up bass man!!! Days like that are what make it all worthwhile!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010

Question for you Arkie....

"Totals for the day: 300 miles driven hitting 40 banks in 10 towns."

between the cost of both gas and your time, would you say this was worth it? I dont mean that as a criticism but more as an assessment. I have a lot of banks in a small area (Im in NY) so I dont nreally need roadtrips but I have often wondered if the cost is worth the return. Then again, I am in this primarily for the silver as an investment, Im not a collector, so I have to weigh cost of acquisition.

Nice haul, regardless! :thumbsup:

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010

these stories always amaze me. i could hit up 20 banks in the area in several hours no problem, but id wager actual money that not a single one of them would have a spare roll of halves, maybe one or two in the change tray if youre lucky (and at that, NEVER any silver, hah). hard work pays off!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great road trip bassman. That one was worth your while in gas and wear and tear.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100

One thing Im finding more frequently when I ask for halves is tellers saying things like " we already searched these for silvers" or "theres another teller here who goes through all the coins" best day was the teller who said I have $18 worth and starts stacking them up on the counter all kinds of silver edges $8 in total of silver. You really had a great trip

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow that was a great day. That was really worth your time.

tenseventyfive just look at it this was. ArkieBassMan got around $700 worth of silver if he wants to sell today. So you figure it out was it worth it I would take off really work for the day and take off if I knew i could score $700 in a days work. I don't make $700 a week where I work. So yea I say it was well worth it......Matt

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tenseventyfive said:
Question for you Arkie....

"Totals for the day: 300 miles driven hitting 40 banks in 10 towns."

between the cost of both gas and your time, would you say this was worth it? I dont mean that as a criticism but more as an assessment. I have a lot of banks in a small area (Im in NY) so I dont nreally need roadtrips but I have often wondered if the cost is worth the return. Then again, I am in this primarily for the silver as an investment, Im not a collector, so I have to weigh cost of acquisition.

Nice haul, regardless! :thumbsup:

To me its worth it. I consider this much more "hobby" than "job". Sure I like the fact that my hobby can put some extra coin in my pocket, but that's not what its all about. If I didn't enjoy the trips, I wouldn't do them. I would probably still do them even if I was guaranteed a "loss." I think its the unknown and the dream of a REALLY big score that I like. Plus you get to meet just about every type of person out there. Also, I tried boxes but they just didn't produce. I found that I can find much more silver by hitting the road. In fact, thats about the only way I can find silver.

Back in my fishing days I have on NUMEROUS occasions driven over 300 miles roundtrip, and sometimes even paid for a few nights lodging all to attempt to catch some little green fish that I wasn't even going to keep. Was that worth it? You bet! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AGninja said:
these stories always amaze me. i could hit up 20 banks in the area in several hours no problem, but id wager actual money that not a single one of them would have a spare roll of halves, maybe one or two in the change tray if youre lucky (and at that, NEVER any silver, hah). hard work pays off!

Then hit 50 or 60! ;D I would hit 100+ in a day if I could. My point is that the more banks you hit, the better chance you have of finding that big score. I'd have to go back and look, but I figure I find (and expect to find) silver at less than 10% of the banks I hit. It may be as low as 5%. Thats only 1 in every 10-20 banks producing any silver and that includes those that only produce a lone 40%er. When I have a good roadtrip, 90%+ of the silver usually comes from one bank. The more banks I hit, the better chance I have of finding "that" bank.

I just know that there are dusty rolls of Seateds, Barbers, Walkers, etc. out there thats been in some little bank's vault for years. I intend to find them. :laughing9: Or at least have a lot of fun looking! :icon_thumleft:

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

Sweet :thumbsup:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Arkie,
Nice score on that road trip and excellent post here on the forum. Thanks for all the info.
Glad you are hitting the silver...It's out there!
Congrats.
rileyboy

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

ArkieBassMan said:
Hit the road at 7:30 this morning in search of halves and "big" dollars. I did not find a single big dollar. As I returned home at 6:30 pm, I was absolutely positive I had my worst trip ever. I only knew of 3 40%ers in my "take" for the day. Most banks had few halves if any, and in the few locations where I picked up a decent amount, either the tellers told me they had already searched them, or it reeked of dump city. I didn't search the handrolls or bags until I returned home to maximize time on the road. Thankfully I was very very surprised.

Town 1 (2 banks): #1 - $4.50 loose (skunk). #2 - $2 loose (1 40%).

Town 2 (7 banks): #1 - none. #2 - $6.50 loose (skunk). #3 - 1 clad half. #4 - $10 handroll (skunk). #5 - none. #6 - $8 loose (skunk). #7 - $12 loose (skunk), $210 handrolled (2 40%, '83S clad proof, '74D DDO) Teller informed me there would be no silver as they "search them all." Must have missed a couple.

Town 3 (1 bank): none

Town 4 (2 banks): #1 - $12 loose (skunk). #2 - $2 loose (skunk), $210 handrolled, again the teller told me they had been searched for silver (49 40% including my first solid roll of silver!! & a '82P no FG). Silver all came from 3 rolls. Tellers let a couple of rolls slip by them! ;D

Town 5 (7 banks): #1 - none. #2 - none. #3 - $1.50 (skunk). #4 - none. #5 - none. #6 - $1.50 (skunk). #7 - $1 (skunk)

Town 6 (8 banks): #1 - none. #2 - $2 (skunk). #3 - $30 handrolls (1 roll $2 short, but contained a '43 Walker). #4 - $1 (skunk). #5 - $11 loose (skunk). #6 - none. #7 - none. #8 - $1 (skunk)

Town 7 (2 banks): #1 - none. #2 - $1.50 (skunk)

Town 8 (2 banks): #1 - $70 handrolls (rolls short $2.50, '54D Ben). #2 - $3 (skunk)

Town 9 (8 banks): #1 - THE STOP OF THE DAY! *see below. #2 - none. #3 - none. #4 - $26.50 loose (2 40%). #4 - none. #5 - none. #6 - none. #7 - none. #8 - none

Town 10 (1 bank): $2.50 loose, $40 handrolls (skunk)

* I walk into the bank and immediately notice a coin counter. I ask the teller about halves and he states that he has $260 in rolls and a $500 bag off the machine. Of course I say I'll take them all. He insists on re-running the bag (in a back room) to be sure the count is accurate. I can just imagine him back there plucking the silver. lol He's gone 15 minutes+ and comes back with the bag and says it only has $443.50 in it. I'd have bet my house he plucked the silver now, but he calls his supervisor over and tells her about the shortage stating he ran the bag 3 times just to be sure. He plops the $260 in rolls down and to my dismay they're all re-wraps in those familiar yellow and white Loomis rolls with one end taped shut. I chit chat with the two of them a bit and ask if they would pull the bag thats currently on the machine. I got the standard "when its full" reply. I asked the supervisor if she would mind checking to see how much is in it. She does and tells me that its 5 half dollars away from filling at $1000. I hand her 5 clad halves from my bag. She fills it and that same teller takes it in the back to check it. This time he returns promptly and says the count is accurate. I grab my $1701 worth of halves and I'm out the door.

The re-wraps were all clad as I knew they would be. The $443.50 bag produced 6 40%, 1 '64 Ken, so maybe he didn't cull anything. My second handful out of the $997.50 bag produces a Walker. 4th handfull produces 2 more. When all was said and done, that bag gave up 41 40%, 6 '64 Kens, 2 Bens, 17 Walkers, and my first silver commemorative, a 1951 Carver/Washington

Totals for the day: 300 miles driven hitting 40 banks in 10 towns. $2371 searched producing 101 40%, 7 '64 Kens, 3 Bens, 18 Walkers, and a 1951 Carver/Washington 90% silver commemorative.

Not my absolute best silver totals for a roadtrip (I think its 2nd best), but its my favorite score so far because of the solid roll, Walkers, and the commem.
Great road trip!
HH
Rich

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

santafeboy said:
One thing Im finding more frequently when I ask for halves is tellers saying things like " we already searched these for silvers" or "theres another teller here who goes through all the coins" best day was the teller who said I have $18 worth and starts stacking them up on the counter all kinds of silver edges $8 in total of silver. You really had a great trip

Buy them all anyway! There are numerous ways there can still be silver in "searched" rolls. Some include: 1. Some people are unaware of, and/or just uninterested in 40%ers. 2. Rolls can easily slip by a silver searching teller - maybe they came in while he/she was on vacation, out to lunch, etc. 3. The teller could be bluffing. Maybe he/she does indeed pull all the silver but hasn't taken the time to search their current inventory. I'm sure there are more ways also, but you get my point.

I found 51 silvers on this trip alone in "searched" rolls. ALWAYS buy them all! :icon_thumleft:

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

Some people think that to be silver, it must be 64 or before. They don't know about 40%ers. What amazes me is your system of keeping each banks coins seperate. You must have a trunk full of cartons, cans and containers, labeling equipment, etc. Just giving you a hard time. Great job!!

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

No! you must have found MY favorite silver bank! :laughing9: That is an awesome score and the reason why I love searching bags so much. I can't believe you caught that bag only 5 coins from being full! Great timing. Had you put off that road trip till next week, you probably would have missed the score completely.

And congrats on finding that old silver commemorative, I will be thrilled when I finally get one. I've been to several small, old banks out in the middle of nowhere around here and I just know that there has to be rolls of old silver in one of them. Good luck finding it :thumbsup:

HH!

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dave5710 said:
Some people think that to be silver, it must be 64 or before. They don't know about 40%ers. What amazes me is your system of keeping each banks coins seperate. You must have a trunk full of cartons, cans and containers, labeling equipment, etc. Just giving you a hard time. Great job!!

Actually its pretty simple. A few plastic bags from Walmart/ dollar store and a small notepad does the trick. Toss the rolls into a plastic bag, write on the notepad where they came from, throw the note in with the rolls, tie the bag shut and throw it into a canvas bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread