What's new

Road Trip 2011 Seen Lots of Silver

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Yesterday I went on my first road trip since late 2009. Only spent four hours hitting the banks as I had other commitments.
One bank I went to the teller said she didn't have any half dollars,so I asked for dimes. When she opened her drawer it looked looked as if someone had dumped a thousand dollars of halves into it. I never saw anything like it,and there was silver on top of that pile. I could hear the jungle as she fished around for a roll of dimes for me.
Went to another bank and saw a solid row of silver in the tellers tray. Must have been a good 30 keepers there. She offered me two sliced string rolls. I told her that I prefer the loose halves like in the tray there.
She said that those were for another customer. I've heard that tune before.
Next bank I couldn't see the teller trays. I asked for halves and the teller told me that they didn't have any.
She asked me if I was looking for silver. I told her that I was looking for bearded Kennedy halves. She said she never heard of one of those. I told her that they were extremely rare, and that one sold last week for ten grand. From my car I could see her her looking through what I can only assume were the halves that she didn't have.
Next bank I got 5 skunk rolls marked with a zero with a slash through it,European style. Haven't run into these since my last road trip.
The remainder of the banks didn't have any halves but I managed to pick up $1500 in dimes and $300 in quarters.
The quarters were a skunk and the dimes only had 4 Rosies.
It wasn't a very productive trip,but I did have some fun,and that's what counts. I'll try it again.
HH
Rich
 
Upvote 0
I hate that when tellers are dishonest with you. If she was saving the silver, she should have just said so.
I've got to keep my eye out for those bearded Kennedies. ;D ;D Sounds like you still had fun.
 
Hey Rich, I was hoping you would score big time, I love those rode trips. Sometimes it seems though the minute you walk in the doors you can spot those tellers that hoard the silver. Glad to see you hit some Rosies and you had a little fun :thumbsup: Good one on the beard ;D

HH..Miner
 
Rich,
Sounds like you had some fun out there. Also, you
know there is still silver. Once in a awhile that happens
to me with tellers and I sort of smile at them and ask
if they would at least spilt some with me. They usually
cough up a few. It works sometimes....try it.
There is a big one out there for you...I feel it!
rileyboy
 
Great story Rich!! Thanks for sharing! Bearded Kennedy....hhhhmmmmm......I guess I'll have to go through my red book again!!?!?!? :laughing9:
 
Gotta love those silver pulling tellers. You know some of them are doubleing their paychecks cherrypicking the stuff (since they make so little it doesnt take much silver these days)

The bearded kennedy is indeed rare...in 3 years of searching I have only found one! He had a FULL beard.

Enjoy.... ;D
 

Attachments

  • BeardedKen.webp
    BeardedKen.webp
    23 KB · Views: 388
"Bearded Kennedy's" haha
:laughing9:

The teller looked through them..

If anyone questioned you on it, I think you would be telling the truth. You're talkin about Hobo Nickels slash Kennedy's. I've seen decent ones go for $20 and some real good Hobo nickels go for couple hundred. Haven't seen a Hobo Kennedy to date (it could be very rare) but I guess I could make one. :laughing9:
 
I think there was somebody who used a line about missing tail feathers on the obverse, but the bearded Kennedy is new to me.
 
Hang in there! I feel you have a BIG score coming! :icon_thumleft:
 
AGCoinHunter said:
Gotta love those silver pulling tellers. You know some of them are doubleing their paychecks cherrypicking the stuff (since they make so little it doesnt take much silver these days)

The bearded kennedy is indeed rare...in 3 years of searching I have only found one! He had a FULL beard.

Enjoy.... ;D
47thelement said:
I think there was somebody who used a line about missing tail feathers on the obverse, but the bearded Kennedy is new to me.


hey guys, do u think this is rare? if so, can u give me an approximate value? thanks! :laughing9:
 

Attachments

  • Untitled.webp
    Untitled.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 249
I think by the end of the month tellers every where will be looking for these rare kens. I know mine will.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom