Roasted Butter Herb Turkey

M

MiniMe

Roasted Butter Herb Turkey

I got this recipe from Semi-Homemade Cooking-Sandra Lee on the Food Network Channel. I made this for the first time this past Thanksgiving and we just loved it. The pan drippings have such a great flavor from the herbs and vegetables - it makes a great tasting gravy. I poured some of the drippings over my pan of stuffing before putting in the oven to cook.

3/4 cup butter, softened 2 large onions, large diced
1 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning 1 (32-oz.) container of chicken broth
2 Tbs. Lipton Herb w/Garlic dried soup mix* 12 to 15 pound turkey
1 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic 1 Tbs. salt
4 stalks celery cut in half 1 Tbs. pepper
4 carrots cut in half 3 (3/4-ounce) packets fresh herbs poultry
1 lemon, thickly sliced blend (sage, thyme and rosemary)**

In a small bowl, combine softened butter, poultry seasoning, garlic herb soup mix, and crushed garlic. Use a fork to mix together until well combined. Shape into a stick of butter cover with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes, until firm but not hard.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange celery, carrots, and half of the diced onions in the bottom of a roasting pan. Add chicken broth and set aside.

Rinse turkey and pat dry. Use for fingers and carefully loosen the skin around the entire bird. Cut your stick of herb butter into pieces. Place the butter pieces under the skin of the entire bird. Rub any remaining butter pieces on the outside of the skin and season with salt and pepper. Stuff the inside of turkey cavity with remaining onions, fresh herb poultry blend, and lemon slices. Tie legs together with cooking twine.

Place turkey on bed of vegetables in roasting pan. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees. Roast for 30 minutes, then start basting with pan juices every 20 minutes until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 180 degrees, about 3 hours. When done, remove from oven and loosely cover with aluminum foil and let rest at least 20 minutes before carving.
* The Lipton Savory Herb with Garlic soup/dip mix comes in a box with 2 packets and is normally in the soup section of your grocery store.
** The Poultry herb bundles are sometimes sold in a packet together in the fresh vegetable area of the grocery stores.

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

Great idea RR. Guess it's time to resurface the Thanksgiving recipes - one of the most moist turkeys I've ever made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread