Rock and Mineral Identification?

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys,
Last year I didint Realy pay to much attention to rocks and minerals and in the long run it back fired and lets just say I'm not to good anymore at identification.... So I was just wondering if anyone has any tips, websites etc. to help me get better at ID you can suggest me some books but my local Indigo/chapters probaly won't have it do dont worry to much about book suggestions. I am also not the greatest with every day rocks(common rocks) like basalt and chery because if never payed close attention to the rocks that are always on front of me lol so also can someone help me with ID websites... Etc. on common rocks.
Thanks,
TheRockCollector

Last edited:

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
RockC.. now that you've clam down a bit and you've stopped pestering me to join your group, I might have a few suggestions.. because I take a different view of rocks and minerals then most here, I would say that I'm 60% scientific / 40% spiritual so I get most of my knowledge from books like The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall, The Audubon Society's Rock and mineral field guide and more.. Searching the web is easy.. But if you must.. the best place to find images or references is prob a site which ban me several years ago.. MinDat.org As for any other specific sites.. I can't help you.. Just comes as common knowledge to me now.. and because there are so many vearnces with minerals, be it color changing.. or heat treatment of minerals and crystals.. one can never really know what they have unless they send it out for testing. In other words.. Naming a stone a quartz (which the earth is made up of) is just as good as naming it a plan ole rock..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys,
Last year I didint Realy pay to much attention to rocks and minerals and in the long run it back fired and lets just say I'm not to good anymore at identification.... So I was just wondering if anyone has any tips, websites etc. to help me get better at ID you can suggest me some books but my local Indigo/chapters probaly won't have it do dont worry to much about book suggestions. I am also not the greatest with every day rocks(common rocks) like basalt and chery because if never payed close attention to the rocks that are always on front of me lol so also can someone help me with ID websites... Etc. on common rocks.
Thanks,
TheRockCollector
Thanks wizard! :D The site dose not have a learning part to it though (great site other words :thumbsup:)...I need a site were it will teach me how to ID different rocks/Minerals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
RockC.. now that you've clam down a bit and you've stopped pestering me to join your group, I might have a few suggestions.. because I take a different view of rocks and minerals then most here, I would say that I'm 60% scientific / 40% spiritual so I get most of my knowledge from books like The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall, The Audubon Society's Rock and mineral field guide and more.. Searching the web is easy.. But if you must.. the best place to find images or references is prob a site which ban me several years ago.. MinDat.org As for any other specific sites.. I can't help you.. Just comes as common knowledge to me now.. and because there are so many vearnces with minerals, be it color changing.. or heat treatment of minerals and crystals.. one can never really know what they have unless they send it out for testing. In other words.. Naming a stone a quartz (which the earth is made up of) is just as good as naming it a plan ole rock..
Also i was just wondering about the Judy Hall book...Which one should i get? because there are like 3 different ones. Thanks

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
ok.. so your saying that you have a common knowledge of or a spiritual side to you?.. or your just interested in the books as references?.. The first book by Judy was and is my favorite.. Mind you I don't see the same way she does when it comes to the minerals properties.. I mean are you interested in the properties as well?. At this point.. thats where I draw the line.. and say books corrupt the mind.. more over the authors who write the books. Why do I say this?.. because in one book a particular mineral can have one type of property. Yet pick up another book from another author it has something totally different.. thats because authors feel different things when they come in contact with minerals and crystals. I was and still am tempted to ask if TreasureNet would create another subcat devoted to minerals.. But I'll leave that to them.. So what is this the reason we collect minerals and crystals?.. if it's to get rich quick.. your sorely mistaken. Unless your on that ultimate dig somewhere out in the middle of no where and you just so happen to dig up the elusive upperslabovian shimmerite.. ( yeah I know ) then you might just get rich.. and very fast. as for a particular site.. well seems alot here know there stuff so why wander any where else?..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
ok.. so your saying that you have a common knowledge of or a spiritual side to you?.. or your just interested in the books as references?.. The first book by Judy was and is my favorite.. Mind you I don't see the same way she does when it comes to the minerals properties.. I mean are you interested in the properties as well?. At this point.. thats where I draw the line.. and say books corrupt the mind.. more over the authors who write the books. Why do I say this?.. because in one book a particular mineral can have one type of property. Yet pick up another book from another author it has something totally different.. thats because authors feel different things when they come in contact with minerals and crystals. I was and still am tempted to ask if TreasureNet would create another subcat devoted to minerals.. But I'll leave that to them.. So what is this the reason we collect minerals and crystals?.. if it's to get rich quick.. your sorely mistaken. Unless your on that ultimate dig somewhere out in the middle of no where and you just so happen to dig up the elusive upperslabovian shimmerite.. ( yeah I know ) then you might just get rich.. and very fast. as for a particular site.. well seems alot here know there stuff so why wander any where else?..
No, I just need to get better at ID'ing. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually let's put it this way think of me as just getting into ID'ing rocks and minerals,what sites/info would you give me. Thanks PS should I get The first or second bible, to clarify.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Book List / Site Management

Fine.. here s a list of books and references I've used:

1. The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall (First Book)
  2. Handbook of Rocks, Minerals and Gemstones by Walter Schumann
  3. The Essential Crystal Handbook by Simon & Sue Lilly
  4. DK Pocket Rocks & Minerals (small pocket sized book)
  5. DK Pocket Rocks & Minerals (Large sized book with interactive dvd)
  6. DK Pocket Gemstones
  7. National Audubon Society Field Guide To North American Rocks & Minerals
  8. 2 years worth of Rock & Gem Magazine
  9. World Book Of Encyclopedia (G = Gemstones, M = Minerals, R = Rocks)

Web sites:

1. Mindat.org (Ban)
  2. TreasureNet (I'm Still Here)
  3. RockTumblingHobby.com (Ban)
  4. Minerals.net (Made Mod But Ban Later)
  5. TreasureHunters Wiki (Ban)

Personal Experience / Hand On (Since 2004):

1. GemMountain.com (sluicing)
  2. EmeraldVillage.com (sluicing)
  3. Hiddenitegems.com (sluicing)
  4. 28 Gem and Minerals shows (east coast region)
  5. Three Visits to Actual Gem Mines (Gem Mountain Aquamarine Mine NC, Morefield Amazonite Mine VA, Herkimer Diamond mine NY)

Friends & Family:
  1. Niece Home In North Carolina (Hot Bed for Smokey Quartz, Beryl & Unakite)
  2. Friends Land On Eastern Shore Of Maryland (Hot Bed for Caramel Jasper)
  3. Friends Land In PA (Hot Bed For Creamy White Calcedony)
  4. Aunt's Home In TN (Hot Bed For Gray/Blue Chalcedony/Agate)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hickory1

Apr 12, 2012
NE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I purchased a "Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals" and it is most helpful; every color to include metalics is listed and with photos for better I.D. Also if you go online to any geological site, some states have their own...(nice as you can see what minerals are in your area, although not inclusive it gives great lists with descriptions and photos). I find that reading, have been for about 5 years on geology has been most helpful in learning in my gravel pit and in streams of where to look. Prospecting is is something whereby to succeed you cannot just grab a pan and head for a stream....it requires study and research and the more you research and study the better your chances of success. Many don't realize this when they get the "fever" to go out panning and hence their frustration at being "skunked". Even panning is something that must be practiced to be sure you aren't loosing valuable gems, gold, silver, etc., Learning about various plants on a piece of land help indicate the possibility of a old stream bed despite no water being present, etc., My thinking is the more education on the subject the better my results and I think this is truth with just about anything one attempts to do as a hobby or for livlihood.

Best of luck in your searches!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased a "Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals" and it is most helpful; every color to include metalics is listed and with photos for better I.D. Also if you go online to any geological site, some states have their own...(nice as you can see what minerals are in your area, although not inclusive it gives great lists with descriptions and photos). I find that reading, have been for about 5 years on geology has been most helpful in learning in my gravel pit and in streams of where to look. Prospecting is is something whereby to succeed you cannot just grab a pan and head for a stream....it requires study and research and the more you research and study the better your chances of success. Many don't realize this when they get the "fever" to go out panning and hence their frustration at being "skunked". Even panning is something that must be practiced to be sure you aren't loosing valuable gems, gold, silver, etc., Learning about various plants on a piece of land help indicate the possibility of a old stream bed despite no water being present, etc., My thinking is the more education on the subject the better my results and I think this is truth with just about anything one attempts to do as a hobby or for livlihood.

Best of luck in your searches!

6. DK Pocket Gemstones

Web sites:

1. Mindat.org (Ban)

5. Three Visits to Actual Gem Mines (Gem Mountain Aquamarine Mine NC, Morefield Amazonite Mine VA, Herkimer Diamond mine NY)

Friends & Family:

Thanks guys, I will take all of your advice! :)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would also suggest looking at Mineralogy Database use the search function to find specific things; for example "Hardness", crystal system, cleavage etc. It does have a description for most things I've had to look up when I started.

If memory serves Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins is very good, I'll just double check that, and will get back to you later.

Prospecting for Gemstones And Minerals by John Sinkankas is also highly recommended.
If you can find it that is, it isn't made any more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
I would also suggest looking at Mineralogy Database use the search function to find specific things; for example "Hardness", crystal system, cleavage etc. It does have a description for most things I've had to look up when I started.

If memory serves Mineralogy by Dexter Perkins is very good, I'll just double check that, and will get back to you later.

Prospecting for Gemstones And Minerals by John Sinkankas is also highly recommended.
If you can find it that is, it isn't made any more.
Thanks Eu!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, the book by Dexter Perkins is good! Has enough info to grow with, lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other

6. DK Pocket Gemstones

Web sites:

1. Mindat.org (Ban)

Friends & Family:
Hey wizard,
Just wondering what magazine it is that you subscribed to?
Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I don't have the book you've suggested.. most are simply updated and republished time again.. Sort of odd seeing some of the older books I have or found which have been republished and the "errors" corrected..

Upvote 0

EarthGirl

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I am having an issue identifying a stone as well... I have identified so far: Dalmation Jasper, Snowflake Obsidian, Quartz, Amethyst and fossilized coral. However, one is eluding a name. It has many shades of brown, white, reddish brown, and pink. It has spots that look much like circular sliced oranges or bicycle wheels. I have no clue what it might me and neither does the shop I bought it from. They said they don't even have a similar stone in stock. For all I know this could be a crystal or gem... But it has been confusing me for a good three months. Anyone know what it might be? Will try to get a pic up at some point.

Upvote 0

Sosastone

May 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello new to this site. Hope everyone is doing great this evening. I have 2 rocks I need I'd on. If you can help thanks in advance. IMG_20170522_214924.jpg IMG_20170522_215007.jpg

Upvote 0

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one looks like chalcedony and second im guessing tourmaline granite?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions