Rock Carvings

W

Walters Okie

I found this rock in New Mexico last summer and would like help deciphering? It has the numbers 1585(possibly date?). There are numerous little holes and etchings across the rock, some too hard to read or make out. It looks as if someone took a knife and drew it across the rock until it made a crevice, in several places. It also has some faint dashes and lines, looks like a half moon also. I have several pics but had a little trouble posting earlier so will keep it at two for now and add others later. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. The area where the rock is found is around an area where coal mines are found and i believe Cortez came across this area. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 158510.JPG
    158510.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 621
  • 158511.JPG
    158511.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 729

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these the only pics you have of it? Maybe something from further away. Perspective many time gives more info than closeups.
Mike

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast
I'm working on a similar situation in Canada. Your 1585 could be a date, as it may coincide with when Cortez was there. It could also mean something else: Don't rule out paces (metres), coordinates, time, etc. Try to see if the holes and markings coincide with constellations, the moon path, etc. It could also simply be somebody one day in the past who was bored and just wanted to carve on a rock. You never know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread