What's new

Rock with green melt??

rockpassion

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
540
Reaction score
605
Golden Thread
0
I am sorry but i have strange rock here, a sort of breccia with green melt. All the green stuff you see is molten. Has anyone seen something like this before??
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260216_112501.webp
    IMG_20260216_112501.webp
    932.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20260216_112748.webp
    IMG_20260216_112748.webp
    822.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20260216_113712_1.webp
    IMG_20260216_113712_1.webp
    412.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20260216_113815.webp
    IMG_20260216_113815.webp
    389.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20260216_113758.webp
    IMG_20260216_113758.webp
    587.5 KB · Views: 64
Very interesting ... I'd be of no use in ID'ing, but: Could you give the (general) location & type of terrain where you found this ... general knowledge of the geology of the area would be very helpful to a knowledgeable person who could help ... really neat rock, & am curious also ...
 
Try Googling for 'brecciated green jasper'. I think you'll find rocks with similar appearance.
 
Very interesting ... I'd be of no use in ID'ing, but: Could you give the (general) location & type of terrain where you found this ... general knowledge of the geology of the area would be very helpful to a knowledgeable person who could help ... really neat rock, & am curious also ...
x marks the spot and most of the rocks there are from glacial deposits.
 

Attachments

  • Kaartje Waal-Spiegelwaal-Nijmegen Hans van Meteren 2020-10-26_120154.webp
    Kaartje Waal-Spiegelwaal-Nijmegen Hans van Meteren 2020-10-26_120154.webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 48
Try Googling for 'brecciated green jasper'. I think you'll find rocks with similar appearance.
yes it could be but in my rock the fragments are not so sharp defined and not really angular like jasper breccia. so don't even no if it is technically a breccia. P.S. we also don't have green brecciated jasper in the netherlands i believe. have never found any
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260216_112756_1.webp
    IMG_20260216_112756_1.webp
    674 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20260216_112748.webp
    IMG_20260216_112748.webp
    822.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
thanks, rockpassion ...now ...waiting for an expert ...
 
yes it could be but in my rock the fragments are not so sharp defined and not really angular like jasper breccia. so don't even no if it is technically a breccia. P.S. we also don't have green brecciated jasper in the netherlands i believe. have never found any

Many brecciated jaspers have undergone a degree of metamorphism subsequent to initial fracturing. That typically creates mottled colours and 'blurring' of the brecciated texture.
 
I have a lot of green glassy rock that is local metallurgical slag used for fill and road work. Looks just like your rock.
 
Waiting for an Expert;

I'm not a expert. I was once told, "An expert is a has-been drip under pressure!" :hello:

In 25 words or less, rocks come from all walks of life. Witwatersrand has/is/was a metamorphic GOLD Placer.

Are we having FUN yet?

- Geowizard
 
Waiting for an Expert;

I'm not a expert. I was once told, "An expert is a has-been drip under pressure!" :hello:

In 25 words or less, rocks come from all walks of life. Witwatersrand has/is/was a metamorphic GOLD Placer.

Are we having FUN yet?

- Geowizard
say whatt????
 
I have a lot of green glassy rock that is local metallurgical slag used for fill and road work. Looks just like your rock.
i can assure you a 100% that this is a real rock and not a slag.
 
I can assure you 100% I never suggested it is a slag.

Without context of "where" is was found and association with other rocks, it is difficult to say what the rock is.

Rocks associated with volcanic rocks often share a glassy volcanic surface texture. Rocks ejected from a volcanic source have a glassy surface as they exit a volcanic vent for example and as they cool during flight through the air become semi solid and upon landing may crack slightly. There are too many possibilities without context.

Thanks for sharing an interesting rock! :)

- Geowizard
 
Looking at the image "X marks the spot". the spot appears to be a sea wall or wall that is used to shore up and reinforce the shore line. With what appears to be a railroad to the left, it is likely transported from a mine or quarry that is used for land fill along shore lines. Dense (heavy) rocks are excellent for this purpose.!

- Geowizard
 
We have Context; :occasion14:

Search for: spiegelwaal Nijmegen


and...


Closer detail:

https://www.spiegelwaalnijmegen.nl/

The true location of origin remains unknown. A call or email to the engineers of the wall (not the Waal) may be able to provide details on the origin. Engineers specify the materials and could give exact details! :hello:

I love this place!

- Geowizard
 
We have Context; :occasion14:

Search for: spiegelwaal Nijmegen


and...


Closer detail:

https://www.spiegelwaalnijmegen.nl/

The true location of origin remains unknown. A call or email to the engineers of the wall (not the Waal) may be able to provide details on the origin. Engineers specify the materials and could give exact details! :hello:

I love this place!

- Geowizard
i have been trying to do so for a long time but to no aveil.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom