What's new

Rock with Hole, Help, found in East Tx garden.

tonedeftyler

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 19, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mt.Pleasant
Found this in the Garden the other day, weighs about 8 pounds. Has a hole right through the middle of it? need help figuring out what it is? Sorry the pics are so huge...i dont know why its doing that, i tried fixing it and it still does the same thing..,...now that i think about its prolly better this way so you can see details in the grain of the rock....theres natural springs all around the place.
 

Attachments

  • dscn1659-1_(3).webp
    dscn1659-1_(3).webp
    25 KB · Views: 267
  • dscn1663-1_(3).webp
    dscn1663-1_(3).webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 268
  • dscn1661-1_(3).webp
    dscn1661-1_(3).webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 270
  • dscn1660_(3).webp
    dscn1660_(3).webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 292
Wow! Those pics are HUGE! Can you re-size them?

About the item... Any water nearby? Could it be a crude anchor?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Here is a re-sized photo.

We use to call them sweet potatoes. When you crack the whole ones open, they were filled with a whitish colored sand.
They aren't fossils, but I can't for the life of me remember what the correct term for them is. Senior Moment I guess.
 

Attachments

  • rock.webp
    rock.webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 666
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Here is a re-sized photo.

We use to call them sweet potatoes. When you crack the whole ones open, they were filled with a whitish colored sand.
They aren't fossils, but I can't for the life of me remember what the correct term for them is. Senior Moment I guess.
Try Indian Artifacts section.
 
Upvote 0
Has the rock been drilled? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Rock.webp
    Rock.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 572
Upvote 0
I have a rock that has a hole in it, plus it has several other semi-holes. It was trapped in moving water, and the sand and other small rocks drove holes in it. Judging by the roundness and smoothness of the outside of your rock, I'm guessing the same thing must have happened to yours or either it was drilled.

Creskol, are you talking about geodes? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • RockHole2.webp
    RockHole2.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 548
  • RockHole1.webp
    RockHole1.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0
I dont know what it is tonedeftyler but I have a rock like Breezies.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-029S.webp
    MVC-029S.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 551
  • MVC-029S.webp
    MVC-029S.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know what it is tonedeftyler but I have a rock like Breezies.

BCH, did you find yours on the beach?
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I have a rock that has a hole in it, plus it has several other semi-holes. It was trapped in moving water, and the sand and other small rocks drove holes in it. Judging by the roundness and smoothness of the outside of your rock, I'm guessing the same thing must have happened to yours or either it was drilled.

Creskol, are you talking about geodes? Breezie

Nope .. not geodes .. there is a name for them, and an explanation for their formation. I have them all over my ranch in Texas..some big ones.. some small ones and some in between .. some long ones, some round ones .. some whole ones, some broken ones and some holed ones .. I will call my sister today and get the info. She will know. The holes are caused by years of erosion .. as the "sweet potatoes" are hollow to begin with, once the thin outer layer erodes away, they appear just as the one shown.

Here are two that have not yet eroded away to the point of breaking through, but you can see the tube that would be exposed once that happened. They are both hollow, and filled with silicate sand.
 

Attachments

  • ROCK3.webp
    ROCK3.webp
    68.4 KB · Views: 515
  • ROCK2.webp
    ROCK2.webp
    109.3 KB · Views: 550
  • ROCK4.webp
    ROCK4.webp
    85.7 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0
Those Sweet potatoes rocks :headbang: Welcome to Tnet tonedeftyler :hello:

Do they have high iron content?

bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know what it is tonedeftyler but I have a rock like Breezies.

Did you find it in SC :D
 

Attachments

  • sc.webp
    sc.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 509
Upvote 0
They are called sandstone concretions ..aka... sandstone bombs.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
They are called sandstone concretions ..aka... sandstone bombs.

Sandstone so no iron content. Sweet potatoe bombs :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Actually, they do have a fairly high iron content .. some more so than others. It is thought they they were actually embedded in sandstone, which over millions of years eroded away leaving these concretions behind. It is because of their iron content that they didn't erode nearly as quickly as the sandstone they were embedded in. Hope that makes sense.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Actually, they do have a fairly high iron content .. some more so than others. It is thought they they were actually embedded in sandstone, which over millions of years eroded away leaving these concretions behind. It is because of their iron content that they didn't erode nearly as quickly as the sandstone they were embedded in. Hope that makes sense.

Learn something every day. Thanks creskol :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
WOW u guys have been VERY helpful, thanks, this is the coolest website EVER!! i just wish it would upload the photos normal size, sorry for that. :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom