Rolex Watch

C

Copper

I've shared this true story as an illustration in many lectures. Hope someone here will enjoy it.

Back when I used to do a lot of metal detecting for coins at parks (1960's-1983), my goal was to find a real gold coin. One day I got a deep signal near a WW I monument in a very old park in Western Michigan. I dug a hole that was probably 10 to 12 inches deep and finally there before me was this round gold coin shaped object (for a second I couldn't breath). Then I picked it up and suddenly realized it wasn't a coin but some sort of "dumb" watch. Disappointed I placed it into my pocket and checked the hole again. I received another signal, which turned out to be an old silver watch fob. I took these two items home and tossed them into a drawer and forgot about them for several years. Finally one day I opened that drawer and grabbed that old watch and threw it into the trash. About 3 months later the preacher at our church mentioned a valuable watch called a "Rolex." Suddenly I felt sick all over. That was the name on the face of that bright gold watch I threw away. Until that day I had never heard the name Rolex. It was most likely made of real gold and was probably more valuable then several common date gold pieces. I suppose there are several possible morals to this true story. This is the one I use: We can spend our entire lives seeking "treasure" and not realize until it's too late that we already possessed it.

Upvote 0

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Great story! Moral: always inspect what you toss BEFORE you toss it!

But in reality, a Rolex buried 10" in dirt would most likely only be worth
the raw gold value, which even on a Rolex isn't all that much - much less
than an ounce. It's all the name that folks pay for! So maybe it wasn't
such a terrible loss... just trying to make ya feel better ;D

Zommbee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread