Rollercoaster of a Week

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Braving the cold, I spent a few mornings this week getting in the last few digs of the season. On Thursday I hunted a field in relative proximity to some 1700s / 1800s houses. The field produced a broken crotal bell, a silver children's ring with cursive monogram, two plain buttons, a full knee buckle and the heart stopper... a 10th Regiment of Foot British soldier's coat button! I immediately called Vino, then sent him some pictures. Now it would make perfect sense, the 10th Regiment was involved in the Philadelphia campaign in 1777. However, this button was pristine! Made of pewter, with no flaking or damage! After some discussion, examination, and research we came to the conclusion that the button is likely a reproduction, worn by a reenactor. I was able to locate a local newpaper article online that indicated a Revolutionary War reenactment was held in the general vicinity in 2000. Bummer. Then we began to examine the knee buckle a little closer. Is it possible that this too is a reproduction? I am not as convinced as Vino, but I would be foolish to doubt him...I think he has a buckle fetish. What do you think about the buckle?

On Friday morning, I hit a new permission, gained by a co-worker, for a 1700s house, not too far from Valley Forge. I found the following coins:

1883 IHP
1903 IHP
1908 IHP (no mintmark)
1951 Rosie
1911 D Barber dime
1941 Walking Liberty Half
1911 Barber Half

Not a bad way to end the week!

IMG_1744.JPGIMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1752.JPGIMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1749.JPGIMG_1750.JPGIMG_1751.JPG

Upvote 12
I would venture to say the button may be a period button, maybe the soil condition was very kind to it...Just wondering, do reenactor's buttons have modern back marks or are they that authentic looking?

I would venture to say the button may be a period button, maybe the soil condition was very kind to it...Just wondering, do reenactor's buttons have modern back marks or are they that authentic looking?

I am hoping someone on this forum will have some additional insight, because I am definitely not an expert.

They are that authentic looking, except for the bake shank.
To someone who knows..
Here is a example of on I dug that had me going till IP set me straight ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452957594.813716.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452957614.148799.jpg

Great finds Slueth.
You definitely had me going for awhile.

Great hunt Before you Northerners are frozen in for the winter. You might have to do one of Vinos Southern road trips.

You guessed it, a modern repro button.
The buckle looks much older, but not a very common type.

Great finds Sleuth. The button unfortunately is a modern repro. The shank gives it away

Nice going on the silvers....repro or not the button is still kind of neat.

Regards + HH

Bill

You guessed it, a modern repro button.
The buckle looks much older, but not a very common type.

I would be shocked if the buckle is a repro. The patina seems too good to be a fake. Unlike the button, the condition, and the shank gave it away

I have a repro button that I found on one of Vino's sites that was reproduced with the detail of a drilled shank even. I never thought they would go to that much detail, but they did! I would have guessed the buckle was a repro too since the condition is so pristine. Very nice coin finds as well.

Great finds!! Love the halfs!!!

What a week! Two silver halves, and a Barber no less. Man I'd be thrilled with those finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back