What's new

Roman Bath House - Day 2 + New Land....

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,308
Reaction score
48,552
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday we gridded for 4 hours at the bath site & came away with;
22 Roman Bronze Coins
Iron Age (Celtic) Fibula
Bit of a Roman Folding Knife
Bit of a Roman Fibula
Small bit of Roman Bracelet

As it was the week of Cru'Dad's Birthday we decided to mix it up a little today & try some new land we had some intel on. Never hunted it but our research indicated it was a Celtic/Roman Site.
We found small amounts of Roman pottery & other signs of the site including dark soil & after 6 hours ended up with;
10 Roman Coins (Not yet pictured)
1 poor condition Celtic Bronze Unit (Coin)
Bunch of blank silver coins, plus a love token
Broken Hammered
Lead Cloth Seal
Dad got a nice early Medieval Lead Spindle Whorl
1797 Penny
17th C Button
& bits...
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    181.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    144.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    135.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    204.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    92.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 6.webp
    6.webp
    236.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 7.webp
    7.webp
    193.8 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 30
A bonanza for sure there.
 
Cru,

Quite the haul....I like the love token with the punched out design.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Hello,
Great stuff! I like the Roman coins the best, but all of your finds are always interesting. This bath site, and your other Roman sites for that matter, are they places that have been leveled and plowed for agriculture? I was wondering if later people covered and leveled out those Roman sites, or does that process happen naturally over time. Even in ancient times a farm would have to be located near a water source. Then during flooding times the old building sites might be silted over. In that particular spot it looks like the soil was not kind to the metals, so I am guessing modern fertilizer damage.
What I am speculating about is that there must be ancient Roman sites located in areas that farming chemicals were never applied to. Not counting the famous hoards found in the United Kingdom in clay pots, there could be artefacts located in areas not suitable for agriculture. I am probably not saying this very well, but as you and your father hunt a site using scientific methods, do you ever hunt in a more haphazard manner like detecting stream beds, hill tops, and out of the way places?
What history you have there. I live in a town that was incorporated in 1812. That was just yesterday compared to where you live. :D
Best of Luck!
Phil
 
Finding items this old blows my mind! I would love to find treasures like this....I am happy finding 1700-1800s relics. Our country (USA) is so young:notworthy:
Good Finds!
 
Great post and great finds as usual
 
Congrats on the incredible finds and Happy Belated Birthday to CruDad.
 
You bugger. Nice finds!

aj
 
Hello,
Great stuff! I like the Roman coins the best, but all of your finds are always interesting. This bath site, and your other Roman sites for that matter, are they places that have been leveled and plowed for agriculture? I was wondering if later people covered and leveled out those Roman sites, or does that process happen naturally over time. Even in ancient times a farm would have to be located near a water source. Then during flooding times the old building sites might be silted over. In that particular spot it looks like the soil was not kind to the metals, so I am guessing modern fertilizer damage.
What I am speculating about is that there must be ancient Roman sites located in areas that farming chemicals were never applied to. Not counting the famous hoards found in the United Kingdom in clay pots, there could be artefacts located in areas not suitable for agriculture. I am probably not saying this very well, but as you and your father hunt a site using scientific methods, do you ever hunt in a more haphazard manner like detecting stream beds, hill tops, and out of the way places?
What history you have there. I live in a town that was incorporated in 1812. That was just yesterday compared to where you live. :D
Best of Luck!
Phil

This site is on a hill close to a major Roman Road, & not far from a Roman Village. The water source for this place is not obvious. Although we call it a Roman Bath House the rough white tiles may have been for a cheap stopping place like an Inn. We may well do an Archaeological dig to further investigate our theories.
All our sites are on ploughed land & the previous, mostly wooden structures were either burnt down or taken apart for materials & then left as fields. We have only 1 area where a site is half in a wooded area & the coins come out a little better. But most are hit by either farm equipment or chemicals. Also if the land was not continuously farmed then the items I find would have been too deep to detect.
 
Last edited:
Good to see you out. We had lots of rain, fields are flooded and the holes fill with water immediately.... Beautiful Love Token and a nice spindle whorl!
 
What lovely items to be pulling out of the ground. 3" of fresh snow here today... Thank you for posting!!!
 
You have got to be kidding. That is amazing the history of all that It would take me years and years to even come close to that Great stuff, Hope to see more posts
 
You have got to be kidding. That is amazing the history of all that It would take me years and years to even come close to that Great stuff, Hope to see more posts
I post about 2 a week, so your see plenty more.:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom