Roman Bronze Roundel?

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not had a chance to dig for a month as the grass was too long on the only fields I have access to but now back in business [emoji846].

I am hoping someone will be able to identify this for me, it measures 91mm in diameter and was found on a field where I have had lots of Roman finds off.

Found this and a Roman scrappie plus Roman lead weight amongst other bit and bobs

Any help appreciated. 20210815_135750.jpg 20210815_135729.jpg Screenshot_20210815-142154_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210815-142212_Gallery.jpg

Upvote 10

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell what the folded side is like - the side behind the portrait? I wonder if it is a mirror.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if and when i find a bronze anything i hunt the heck out of that area

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could possibly be a Roman Phalera. That's super cool

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could possibly be a Roman Phalera. That's super cool
Thanks for the reply, I think you could be right. Very similar one's on a Google search, I also checked the PAS database and was surprised to see this one is in relatively good condition to the others on there, I am guessing the size of it leaves it liable to get hit and damaged.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve,
Glad your options have opened back up.
Although the image is somewhat of a Roman style, it's not Roman period IMO. The casting looks wrong & the metal looks more brassy than bronze. Can't help with what it went on, but I think its a 19th C re-invention.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bronze Roman Phalera#1.png

Very interesting find !! Congrats Steve !
I tried to straighten it out to see what it might have looked like before something made it into a taco, but it's not very good.
I did the best I could. One thing that is very intriguing to me is it appears the the man in the image has a "halo" over his head. My mind wanders when I see something like this & I tend to make wild speculations which are usually completely wrong, but I keep an open mind & give it a shot. There is always an answer to mysteries. Just have to zero in on them.
No photographs of Jesus Christ exist, but many different images have been made by people over the years that reflect their
ideas as to what he looked like. Some think the Shroud of Turin might be what he looked like for example. (might even be him !!)
You say it was found where other Roman items are found & we know that the Romans were at odds with the Christians for many years before they later converted to Christianity themselves.
Could your find be a religious phalera that was taken from a Christian by a Roman during their "feuding" years ??
Or, could it have been made & worn by a Roman during the times after the "feud" ?
Or, then again, it could just be an image of some other guy that someone thought enough of to put his image on a bronze disc !! But, all speculation aside, it is an image of somebody. Who? We may never know. Really cool find Steve !! CHEERS !!! J.T.G. (click on image to enlarge)

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D'oh! Still it is what it is, I was just about to send an email to the FLO but I'll leave it now. The search continues.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look, hope you and Dad are all good. [emoji1696]

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1942784

Very interesting find !! Congrats Steve !
I tried to straighten it out to see what it might have looked like before something made it into a taco, but it's not very good.
I did the best I could. One thing that is very intriguing to me is it appears the the man in the image has a "halo" over his head. My mind wanders when I see something like this & I tend to make wild speculations which are usually completely wrong, but I keep an open mind & give it a shot. There is always an answer to mysteries. Just have to zero in on them.
No photographs of Jesus Christ exist, but many different images have been made by people over the years that reflect their
ideas as to what he looked like. Some think the Shroud of Turin might be what he looked like for example. (might even be him !!)
You say it was found where other Roman items are found & we know that the Romans were at odds with the Christians for many years before they later converted to Christianity themselves.
Could your find be a religious phalera that was taken from a Christian by a Roman during their "feuding" years ??
Or, could it have been made & worn by a Roman during the times after the "feud" ?
Or, then again, it could just be an image of some other guy that someone thought enough of to put his image on a bronze disc !! But, all speculation aside, it is an image of somebody. Who? We may never know. Really cool find Steve !! CHEERS !!! J.T.G. (click on image to enlarge)
Wow! You did a great job with the image, I'm very grateful for your efforts [emoji106]
Crusader says it's a repo, a tiny bit gutting tbh but we live to dig another hole

Thanks again Jose[emoji106]

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve,
Glad your options have opened back up.
Although the image is somewhat of a Roman style, it's not Roman period IMO. The casting looks wrong & the metal looks more brassy than bronze. Can't help with what it went on, but I think its a 19th C re-invention.
Do you know what this is, found next hole from my repo phalera!

Got me beat 20210816_160030.jpg 20210816_160050.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You did a great job with the image, I'm very grateful for your efforts [emoji106]
Crusader says it's a repo, a tiny bit gutting tbh but we live to dig another hole

Thanks again Jose[emoji106]
Not so much a repro, just not Roman period.
I also noticed the Halo, so Jesus or a Staint is a good guess.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread