What's new

Roman Coin found in some pennies!

kestrelia

Hero Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
587
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
After my son went to bed last night I searched 9,500 customer rolled pennies. I thought I was doing really well when early in the batch I found a 1901 Hungary 2 Filler. It's one of the oldest foreign coins I've come across and is in great shape. Things got way better towards the end when in a roll that might have been from the same person (same, common wrapper) I found what I first thought was a smashed penny, but on closer inspection looked like some sort of ancient coin. I could hardly believe it! Could it be? I've dreamed about finding something like this. It's taken me a lot of research, but I now believe I've found a Roman coin from the usurper Postumus, 260-268!! In a roll of pennies ... hard to believe. It's a got a lot of greening, but there's some good detail on the front of it. (I might consult some experts about cleaning it, but won't do so before.) I can definitely read the whole obverse legend. Here's a picture of the coin I found, plus a picture of a similar one in better condition. (I can't find a better picture of the same coin just yet.) Please no one tell me it's some sort of fake! ;)

Happy hunting!

Brian
 

Attachments

  • hungary_2_filler_1901.webp
    hungary_2_filler_1901.webp
    95.7 KB · Views: 541
  • postumus_260-268.webp
    postumus_260-268.webp
    123.8 KB · Views: 548
  • post.webp
    post.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0
yeap, looks like a roman coin to me :icon_thumleft:

I don't thing cleaning would do much! You could put boot polish on it, or renaissance wax if you have any!
 
Congratulations Kestrelia! I hope it's real. It's got to be kinda cool holding a coin that old and just thinking about the people that might have carried it, and what they may have purchased with it :thumbsup:!! Every old coin found can be a history lesson.. Good luck, Gpurs...
 
"Veni, vidi, vici" 8)

mucho kudos there K................good luck on having it authenticated.
 
That is so cool,a coin over 1700 years old.Makes Indian Heads look like recent pocket change.Good luck with the authentication.
 
Welcome to the Roman coin found in US circulation club. Unless I am forgetting someone, I think we are the only two members on this board... :)

If I remember right, I think yours may be older than mine.

If you want to verify your ID, put in the forum section for ID'ing stuff. Those guys are pretty good. They helped me confirm my ID. They also can probably give you some indication to its value and if cleaning would have a detrimental effect. In my case I used water, soap, and a toothbrush with the bristles cut down and a lot of elbow grease to get most of the gunk off. I needed to do it, just to get an ID which is different than your case.


Either way, congrats on a well deserved odd find!
 
Too cool!
Congrats!
 
Absolutly Awsome.

A coin Roll Hunters Dream find. At least this CRH's dream.

Congratulations on a fantanstic find. Well deserved.

Mojo
 
id just contact crusader... he's the roman god of the forums imho
 
Dang. And I thought my Spanish reale was old!
Nice score! (That hungarian coin is nice too!)
 
WOW! that is one goal i have set for myself! congratulations!
 
That is an awesome find K. It amazes me how this coin was still in circulation. Bigtime kudos to you.

mountainman 2 said:
That is so cool,a coin over 1700 years old.Makes Indian Heads look like recent pocket change.

Well said!!
 
Awesome find. That coin actually looks more ancient Greek than ancient Roman.
 
unbelievable.....you never know what you'll find in this game :thumbsup:
id just contact crusader... he's the roman god of the forums imho
ditto.....Crusader is from the U.K. and him and his father have some unbelievable finds. they have been on the banner like 7 times. you can find him in "todays finds". i would p.m. him and ask his opinion. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom