Roman coins

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Well been back to the hammered gold field, didn't find anymore but I will keep searching you never know. What I did find though was 10 roman coins in one area of the field. Roman bronze coins of this type are fairly common finds, makes you wonder why they lost so many of these coins ?. Also had a worn George 111 copper and a lead cloth seal late medieval. As I said I'm going to keep searching this field for a while yet.
ps. will post some pics. of the hammered gold coin when it comes back from straightening.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• gold 008.jpg
    gold 008.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • gold 007.jpg
    gold 007.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • gold 009.jpg
    gold 009.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,120
Upvote 0
O

ohannos

Te romans are not in bad condition at all, WTG.
Cant wait for the updated pics ot the hammered gold

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than average condition the Roman coins Rob :thumbsup: did you get a value on the Goldy :icon_study:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
looks like you've found a good field rob :thumbsup: i'm still looking for one in my area :-\

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have often wondered the same thing, did they go around throwing them in the fields :icon_scratch:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are amazing. You guys over there are so lucky. But then again if I did live there I would be divorced and unemployed because I would be hunting all the time.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Silver Searcher said:
Better than average condition the Roman coins Rob :thumbsup: did you get a value on the Goldy :icon_study:
No should be easy after straightening, not the one I first thought though (no flag at stern).

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Ron-In-Marysville said:
It's hard to say why so many were lost. Maybe when the Roman empire fell they were just dumped ???
possible, but why weren't they just melted down bronze/copper was valuable.

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys across the big blue have the opportunity to find coins thousands of years old and because it happens frequently it seems that some of the appreciation of the history involved gets lost in the process. Our young nation does not offer us the same opportunity. I think that you are very lucky indeed! Good luck with the field and HH.

john

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Ron-In-Marysville said:
It's hard to say why so many were lost. Maybe when the Roman empire fell they were just dumped ???
To be honest Rob, I think we find so many because 400 years of occupation that's a lot of legioners wages, early on pay for a legioner ranged from 300 sestersie(75 denari) right up to 3000 denari by AD5, then we have all the smaller Bronzes that came along, follis,Ae bronzes, quinarius, billon, minums and so on,and as you know some of them bronzes are really small they must have lost thousands and thousands of them :icon_study:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
capt1989 said:
You guys across the big blue have the opportunity to find coins thousands of years old and because it happens frequently it seems that some of the appreciation of the history involved gets lost in the process. Our young nation does not offer us the same opportunity. I think that you are very lucky indeed! Good luck with the field and HH.

john
sadly some of the appreciation does get lost, but i can still remember my first Roman coin. The thing is detecting in England can be like detecting in a very large museum absolutely anything can come up anywhere.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Silver Searcher said:
robfinds said:
Ron-In-Marysville said:
To be honest Rob, I think we find so many because 400 years of occupation that's a lot of legioners wages, early on pay for a legioner ranged from 300 sestersie(75 denari) right up to 3000 denari by AD5, then we have all the smaller Bronzes that came along, follis,Ae bronzes, quinarius, billon, minums and so on,and as you know some of them bronzes are really small they must have lost thousands and thousands of them :icon_study:
i agree but don't forget the population was tiny compared to today, something dosen't add up.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
at the risk of sounding stupid again :tard:

why does everyone talk in terms of soldiers wages :icon_scratch:
surely not all the romans here were soldiers?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
at the risk of sounding stupid again :tard:

why does everyone talk in terms of soldiers wages :icon_scratch:
surely not all the romans here were soldiers?
Not all shaun......but they also had a huge entourage with them who required payment. A legion of Romans consited of 5240 men 6000 including non-combatents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread