Roman coins

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Well been back to the hammered gold field, didn't find anymore but I will keep searching you never know. What I did find though was 10 roman coins in one area of the field. Roman bronze coins of this type are fairly common finds, makes you wonder why they lost so many of these coins ?. Also had a worn George 111 copper and a lead cloth seal late medieval. As I said I'm going to keep searching this field for a while yet.
ps. will post some pics. of the hammered gold coin when it comes back from straightening.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• gold 008.jpg
    gold 008.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • gold 007.jpg
    gold 007.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • gold 009.jpg
    gold 009.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,120
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
at the risk of sounding stupid again :tard:

why does everyone talk in terms of soldiers wages :icon_scratch:
surely not all the romans here were soldiers?
Not all shaun......but they also had a huge entourage with them who required payment.

so did british money become obsolete when the romans came?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

Not all shaun......but they also had a huge entourage with them who required payment.

The Celts buried it if they had any sence, for Crusader and his Dad to find later :D

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

The Celts buried it if they had any sence, for Crusader and his Dad to find later :D

or me on crusaders land :D

i don't think i'd get away in one piece though :D

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
It is amazing how many coins the Romans lost. I love seeing your finds 8)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

No, because the Iron Age (Celtic) people of Britain did not have a monetary system it was all barter. The Celtic coins were only used for the following:
Druids - for ritual purposes
Chieftains - to pay mercenaries (they took it back to Europe to spend)
Anywhere the Romans went they wanted to Tax people, thats why the monetary system exists. The Celts lived differently & wealth was in Cattle & skills etc...

After all if you were a starving Iron Age person & I gave you a Gold Coin you would laugh because you can't eat it.

However there was a lot of trade between Roman for Wine & oil etc which we used to swap slaves & other goods for. (some of this exchange would include coins)

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

No, because the Iron Age (Celtic) people of Britain did not have a monetary system it was all barter. The Celtic coins were only used for the following:
Anywhere the Romans went they wanted to Tax people, thats why the monetary system exists. The Celts lived differently & wealth was in Cattle & skills etc...

After all if you were a starving Iron Age person & I gave you a Gold Coin you would laugh because you can't eat it.

However there was a lot of trade between Roman for Wine & oil etc which we used to swap slaves & other goods for. (some of this exchange would include coins)

thanks cru, i can remember you telling me that on the way to detecting!

i must have been half asleep :tongue3:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

Yea .......I don't think money had the same meaning then as it did later on, a lot of the Gold Sater deposits found have been associated with Rich traders dealing in slaves, sword blades were actually used before the minting of money, but Cattle was Mankinds first working capital.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi Rob,

Nice coins!

These all seem to be 4th century bronzes, and one reason 4th century Roman bronzes are common is that they were low value coins when issued, and often were traded by the bagfull to make purchases. This was not true of the earlier imperial coins, which included large copper and brass coins tied to a reliable silver coinage. The economic crisis of the 3rd century caused a complete breakdown of the earlier coinage, with the old larger ronze denominations being dropped as the silver coins became so debased that they were little more than bronze coins themselves. Attempts were made beginning around 300 to restore a reliable silver and bronze coinage, but the continuous pressure to debase coins caused the coins repeatedly to drop back to diminutive sizes. And these coins were issued by the truckload.

To give a comparison, one rarely encounters 1rst century regular issue Roman bronzes that weigh less than 10 grams. After the early 300s, most Roman bronzes weigh about 3 grams or less. By the end of the century, the most common Roman bronzes weighed in at a little over a gram, or less.

With tiny coins like that, one can see how so many were needed to make purchases.

artorius

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Rob, Great finds :hello2: - If only I could find a field like that in Derbyshire!
All the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread