Unbelievable find today

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
You're going to have to read through this to get to my unbelievable find today, but believe me it is worth it!

I've been watching the weather all week this week hoping for a nice day today (Friday) as I wanted to go out to one of my favorite spots and spend a few hours detecting. Unfortunately it started raining yesterday, and the rain just dragged on into today. It wasn't a downpour, but a steady drizzle.

I said "screw it" and went anyways.

Here's a look at the weather outside on my drive out to my spot...

IMG_0235.jpg

I wore a raincoat, changed into some boots, and wore gloves and started off on my hunt. I got to my destination at 10am this morning, and told myself that I needed to leave at noon so I could get back home and get cleaned up before going to pick up my son from school. So I started hunting a campsite area that I had hit a couple of times in the past, but had not been to for at least three months.

One of my first finds of the day was out in a field, and I wasn't quite sure what it was...

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

I could read the word "COMPASS" on it, so I knew it was some sort of compass, but I would wait to get home to try opening it.

The next two hours were pretty miserable as I was soaked, and my right knee was totally caked in mud from kneeling to dig. My right arm was also covered in mud from going in and out of the detector arm strap. I was determined to find a silver coin today to keep my silver streak alive (silver coins on each of my last four hunts). But the two hours crept by and by noon I had quite a few coins and other odds and ends, but no silver coin.

I was really bummed about not finding a silver coin, so I gave myself another 15 minutes to hunt. Those 15 minutes came and went, and still no silver coin. Well, 12:30 is not going to kill me, I thought to myself - I'd still have enough time to get home, shower and change clothes, and get back to my son's school. So I headed back out into the field to give it 15 more minutes.

Well, it was 12:30, and still no silver coin, so I turned and started back towards the car to call it a day. About half way back to the car I got a high tone, but it didn't register on the display of the Explorer II where silver would register - it was more in the area of a zinc penny. Frustrated, I knelt down to dig this last hole before hightailing it home. I dug a shallow plug, and my probe told me the item was in the plug. I ripped apart the grass, and out fell a heavy silver colored ring.

IMG_0240.jpg

I sat there in utter disbelief. This was MY RING. My 18kt gray gold $2000 wedding band that I had lost at this site back in September - you may remember my post from the day I lost my ring:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,182204.msg1331915.html#msg1331915

I never thought I'd see this ring again. When I first noticed that I had lost it on that fateful day back in September of last year, I was in another area of this campground about a half mile away. I had started that day in the campsite area I was hunting today, but then I got in my car and drove to a completely different area of the campgrounds, and was sure that I had lost the ring there as that's where I noticed it missing - after I had been hunting in this second spot for about an hour. I went back to that other area several times and retraced my steps for hours with the detector trying to find my ring. I did think there was a small chance that the ring could have been lost at the first campsite area that I started at that day, but I had covered so much ground that day - all through a couple different fields, through some wooded areas - that I had told myself back in September if I had in fact lost the ring at this particular site, there was no chance I'd ever find it as I covered way too much ground that day.

So there I sat in the drizzling rain - soaking wet, muddy from head to toe, staring at one of the most amazing finds I've ever made - my own wedding band!!!

IMG_0239.jpg

Here is the total take for the day, less the big trash...

IMG_0243.jpg

I did find three wheat cents, with the oldest being a 1936. But no silver, so the streak has ended.

Here is that compass cleaned up a bit...

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

It is a Lensatic Compass, made in Japan. I wish it were solid brass, but it is some base metal plated with a brass colored plating. Here is a website I found that tells all about the Lensatic Compass...

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/astro/lensatic.htm

And finally, here is my truly unbelievable find of the day - back where it belongs...

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

I hope your next outing is as exiting as this one was for me!

Happy Hunting,

Jim

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess you you could say you collected a reward when you returned the ring to its owner! Congrats!

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Wow!!! Thats good news that you found your own ring :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That would have really made my day if that happened to me. I make it a point not to wear rings when detecting, heck I've even spent a couple of times tracing back to find my knife, or pinpointer that I left behind :icon_scratch:

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Nice story. Congratulations on the ring. Something must have been guiding your arm today. :wink:

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Wow that's a great story, you must be stoked. I never take my wedding band with me when I go out save scratching it etc.
Really glad you got it back.

HH

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that sir is one great story.

Congratulations!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Outstanding find, Jim!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_queen: :icon_king:

Now the queen thinks you're king again!

(I couldn't get mine off even if I wanted to - too much of the good life I guess...)
Neil

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT STORY!! And, for sure, congrats on finding your wedding band. (Maybe I need to go back to some of the places that I have been to try to find some of the stuff that I have returned to home without! (And in that miserable weather, too.) By the way, did you pick your kid up ontime? ;D

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just awesome. What a wonderful story. Awesome hunt man. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread