Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the No. 1 field today and standing the storm was worth every minute. Barely could hear the signals in the headphones...
This site isn't producing much but the finds are excellent. Gridding the area of the main building yields an ok Sestercius and a stunning ring. Roman gold is very hard to come by and this is the second gold ring from this site!

Attachments

• 3040_800_600.jpg
    3040_800_600.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 535
  • 3041_800_600.jpg
    3041_800_600.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 3044_800_600.jpg
    3044_800_600.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 475
  • 3046_800_600.jpg
    3046_800_600.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 457
  • 3048_800_600.jpg
    3048_800_600.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 3049_800_600.jpg
    3049_800_600.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 456
  • 3050_800_600.jpg
    3050_800_600.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 497
  • 3051_800_600.jpg
    3051_800_600.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 636
  • 3052_800_600.jpg
    3052_800_600.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 720
  • 3053_800_600.jpg
    3053_800_600.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 43

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell if it is in Latin or Greek. The "A" characters look like Lambdas. It is a truly incredible find, I hope you can contact some experts in classical language and artifacts. It might be a very important discovery. Beautiful and wonderful ring, thanks for sharing. Definitely banner.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Banner for sure! Congratulations. I can't ever imagine finding something that old (besides rocks)!

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any idea what the letters signify?

I haven't a clue... :dontknow:

I don't know what that key-like item is in the fifth picture...but it reminds me of a broken hand-cuff key.

Oh and nice gold.

Would be a nice decorated one then! Want to find the cuffs! In fact it's a watch winder. The buckle is a small one, so the winder looks big. It's smaller than an inch.

I can't tell if it is in Latin or Greek. The "A" characters look like Lambdas. It is a truly incredible find, I hope you can contact some experts in classical language and artifacts. It might be a very important discovery. Beautiful and wonderful ring, thanks for sharing. Definitely banner.

Yes, Lambdas. But i found no meaning of 'L' and 'F' in latin...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the votes! Nice to see Roman up there again! :occasion14:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find there! That is one that many will only dream of. Congratulations on the well-deserved banner, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring looks amazing and congrats on it making the Banner.
All the best,
ZDD

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible find that us here in the states can only dream about. Congrats on the banner, and please let us know when you decipher the inscription.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad had a similar thought to me. But instead of guessing I have fired off an email to an expert (fingers crossed because its been some years since I emailed him last & the email maybe redundant??).
Here are Dads thoughts:

A bit of a lateral thought but I wonder if Westfront’s ring and the inscription might be a signet ring for a Roman cavalry unit. The ALA indicating cavalry and the F indicating Cohort section – if the L is an I then it might just be a person’s name? Of course if the F is an E and the L is an L – then ALAE was the roman name for a cavalry unit.

I actually think it looked like ALAF. I agree the ALA is a short version for a Roman Cavalry unit & maybe the 'F' was for 'Frontoniana', or a better fit is Firma Catafractariae:
File:Reitergrabmal Rotenbach und Cannstatt.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

The Frontoniana is a little less likely?
ALA PRIMAE TUNGRORUM

Whatever, my gut says Roman Soldiers Ring.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The letters on the ring are probably Roman Cursive script, which is very hard to decipher, and the actual letters could translate to different letters that we recognize.

SS

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW what an awesome ring! Congratulations for making a well deserved BANNER find! :thumbsup: I look forward to hearing more information about it.
:)
Breezie

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find there! That is one that many will only dream of. Congratulations on the well-deserved banner, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Thanks Buck! You know what could happen when detecting old farmland!

The ring looks amazing and congrats on it making the Banner.
All the best,
ZDD

Thanks Dave!

Incredible find that us here in the states can only dream about. Congrats on the banner, and please let us know when you decipher the inscription.

WOW what an awesome ring! Congratulations for making a well deserved BANNER find! :thumbsup: I look forward to hearing more information about it.
:)
Breezie

Thanks!
It's difficult. We try our best here and and the UK friends are working on that too!

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad had a similar thought to me. But instead of guessing I have fired off an email to an expert (fingers crossed because its been some years since I emailed him last & the email maybe redundant??).
Here are Dads thoughts:

A bit of a lateral thought but I wonder if Westfront’s ring and the inscription might be a signet ring for a Roman cavalry unit. The ALA indicating cavalry and the F indicating Cohort section – if the L is an I then it might just be a person’s name? Of course if the F is an E and the L is an L – then ALAE was the roman name for a cavalry unit.

I actually think it looked like ALAF. I agree the ALA is a short version for a Roman Cavalry unit & maybe the 'F' was for 'Frontoniana', or a better fit is Firma Catafractariae:

ALA PRIMAE TUNGRORUM

Thanks for your and Crudads help! The pieces come together now.
Here's a pic of an officers ring http://romanofficer.com/Images/ala-ll-fl-ring.jpg of the ALA II FLAVIA. Unfortunately were they based not close by. Ala Frontoniana is better. Here are some more roman military related rings. http://romanofficer.com/PermcolB.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All together

Here is a shot from the top three finds from that site.

16071749oz.jpg

And the two rings

16071750jg.jpg

Last edited:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great unearthed history beautiful ring :notworthy: Jim

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are Dads thoughts:

ALA PRIMAE TUNGRORUM

I actually thought it read ALAF as well, until I looked up the Greek alphabet, the letters could be Greek and the inverted letters that look like V, would infact be L in Greek (LAMBDA), Latin capitals (Roman) are written I believe like what we used today...interesting though. LAMBDA also is the 11th letter in the Greek alphabet (perhaps a link to the 11th legion), LMBDA was also a shield pattern of the Spartan army, this stood for Lakedaimon.

SS

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread