Roman (looking) hair pin or stylus found in Virginia

wilsondog

Greenie
Aug 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I'm a longtime lurker, occasional poster, big fan, and cross-poster from "What is it?". I recently found this object while metal detecting with my sons on an undeveloped portion of a friend's property along the Potomac, but we found it on the surface. The location is part of the original Mt. Vernon estate, but likely used only as pasture until the 1800s, at which point a fishery, ferry landing, and a handful of residences were located nearby. Here are the specs:
a. approximately 8 inches long and seemingly made of brass or bronze
b. The item is configured like a totem with a bust on top, but there are no other discernible figures below. The remainder of the totem appear to be filigree
c. The bust appears to me to be in the style of a Greek or roman figure but I'm not confident I'm right. And I don't think the item itself if Greek or Roman. Given the location of the find, perhaps a modern or antique homage to the Greek or Roman style.
d. Given the flat back, it appears to have been cast in a mold. Also, the rear is completely unfinished leading me to believe it was affixed to something else or was otherwise designed to be seen from only one side.
e. There are no marks, symbols, or writing
f. For what its worth, I've theorized: (1) hairpin, barrette, or other type of hair ornamentation (but seemed too heavy and could not find similar online); (2) swizzle (but could not find similar online and odd to have only one finished side); (3) bookmark (but too thick (most of profile is about 1/4 in thick); (4) ornamentation that fell off a bible, frame, or furnishing. Based on pictures I've seen online it looks like a medieval stylus or hair pin, but given its location in Virginia and its condition, I'm guessing its a modern or vintage reproduction.

Thanks for looking and for offering your thoughts.
Best,
Wilsondog

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 3

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really neat find, I hope you get an ID. Like your nom de guerre I have a Dog named Wilson!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what it is but the condition is excellent. I'm wondering if it's modern as I don't see any patina or breakdown that I would imagine if it was colonial?

OP
OP
W

wilsondog

Greenie
Aug 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BLK Hole! That was my old mutt's name as well. he was a great dog.

OP
OP
W

wilsondog

Greenie
Aug 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xcoppers. I tend to agree. The soil around here seems to be hard on copper and I imagine it is also hard on the copper in the brass or bronze (whichever it is). Then again, it was found mostly uncovered on the surface, which is also strange to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions