Rookie Bottle Hunter Questions

Everett Mcgill

Greenie
Mar 8, 2010
Northern Calif a
Detector(s) used
MXT / Mark 1
I can help you out. Whittemore was a boot or shoe dressing. That is, Shoe poliosh. It was around from the late 1890 up through the teens or so. There are several varieties of your bottle from tooled top which is hand made to machine made for the later versions. .My very good friend is one of the few who actually collect whittemores and they come in some pretty nice colors the standard aqua, clear, yelloy , green, amber and very rarely deep blue. Hope that helps
EM

I forgot, I'll bet you'd like a value.
Well, of course it depends on the color. But I would guess that your french gloss is either amber (brown) or aqua (light greenish or bluish) amber would be 10 to 15 bucks.... aqua ....maybe 5 on a really good day.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thanks for the info Everett. I appreciate all the help as I am getting started on all this bottle digging stuff. Never really thought I would ever get geeked about digging an outhouse pit :laughing9: It has been great so far. Thanks again.....jgas

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Whittemore also. Someone told me it was shoe polish. Check out my post from today to see mine. I also found one with the cap still on it and white paint like stuff inside but I left it at the dump. :laughing7:

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I'll check it out Skypirate, yep I went digging at our first real privy and found about 130 bottles. I will post as soon as I wash them off a bit.

On a side note in reference to cleaning these bottles. How do you get that sheen looking stuff off the exterior of the bottles??? I hope to get these posted soon but the cleaning is killing me.. >:( jgas

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Cmon jgas....hurry up and get those bottles cleaned I've been dying to see them!

By the way....nice nmeeting you!

glassdiver

Jan 2, 2007
The Thumb of Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's, Nautilus, Fisher, Garrett
Hey Jgas,
There are lots of tricks to getting that mineralization off the glass.
Try checking out www.fohbc.com first. Read what the FOHBC is about and consider joining. There is a local club near you, too.
Find the link on the Federation site that leads you to bottle cleaning how-to's. . If you can't find it, let me know. My email is newzmaker at aol.com
If you email me, I'll send you my phone number here in Michigan. I am not in love with typing, but can help you with info on the phone. I'll also send anyone who wants them, a multitude of links regarding bottles, such as dating, determining value, cleaning, etc...
I've been digging and collecting almost 40 years now and the hobby is my passion.
Are you thinking about selling any bottles that you dig?
Bill
Flint, Michigan antique bottle club

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nice to finally meet you too Vibes...

And yes GlassDiver I am more than willing to sell some bottles. I am really a coinshooter at heart myself, but this bottle thing is getting in my blood as well. I will look up the site you have suggested and thank you for that. I will be in contact with ya. Like I said, I am a rookie as far as these things are concerned but I am learning really fast. I have at least a couple more digs already set up. :thumbsup: jgas

And Vibes...I will save all the Blue Glass for You! :icon_sunny:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
And Vibes...I will save all the Blue Glass for You! :icon_sunny:
[/quote]

Yeah! Thanks....and can I tag along next time?

By the way I LOVED the photos...especially the turquoise bottle...it's a beauty!

I made a bottle tree in my backyard...it's fun to see the bottles glisten in the sun!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If, or more like when I find another I shall give ya a bump and see what you can dig up Vibes. :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread