SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this yesterday on the Today's Finds but am SO excited by it that I thought I'd post it here as well. I have a fairly large collection of pottery that I picked up at thrift stores and garage sales in the 80's. But finding anything really good has been near impossible for a number of years as people have become more educated on pottery and collectibles. Anyway, was roaming the thrift store yesterday and spied this vase on a shelf. It had an odd design and didn't necessarily look old, but as soon as picked it up, the weight and looks of the clay told me it was an old piece. The price sticker was covering the bottom, so I peeled back a corner, saw one of the flames, and knew I was holding a piece of Rookwood. The $9.99 price sure seemed reasonable to me.

I saw a similar piece in a white glaze online at an antique store for $275, but I think value is closer to $100 or so. Your opinions?

Attachments

• Vase1.JPG
    Vase1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 363
  • Vase2.JPG
    Vase2.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Vase1.JPG
    Vase1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Vase2.JPG
    Vase2.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 341
Great buy!!! Auction estimates I found online put it (as you'd thought) a bit over $100, but up to $200. There are ones listed online with a higher asking price, but who knows how long they've remained unsold?

Thanks Benz. Its hard to know with this economy what anything will sell for and this piece is tough because its unusual. That may help or hurt the price, don't know. Fortunately, I'm not going to try to sell it any time soon. Hopefully by the time I'm ready, in 10 years or so, prices will be back up again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back