Rough day at the office and I need some help?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worked really hard today detecting and came up with two Wheaties that I wish I could get the data off of and a half piece of what looks like Half of a pewter figure rain or something like that. Is that half of a soldier? IMG_2268.JPGIMG_2263.JPGIMG_2264.JPGIMG_2265.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 8
The two wheat even though you can't read them are great finds mate. Congratulations!

I'm very curious on getting the dates of these things they're a little cruddy. Do you have any home remedies?View attachment 1438348

I wish I did mate, I have been learning from you guys. I do learn lots from this forum. There are many good knowledgeable good posters on this board.

You may get a few details off those pennies by cleaning/scraping them with a wooden toothpick. I can't tell by looking at the pictures but if they are caked in dirt, maybe a day of soaking in olive oil will make it easier to lift the dirt.
Congrats and good luck.

You may get a few details off those pennies by cleaning/scraping them with a wooden toothpick. I can't tell by looking at the pictures but if they are caked in dirt, maybe a day of soaking in olive oil will make it easier to lift the dirt.
Congrats and good luck.

I'll try that right now

My last outing with my detector turned up the brother of your unfortunate soldier....both no better off, lol.

DSC00152.JPG DSC00151.JPG

So I usually use my Dremmel tool with either a brass wire bit or one of the buffing bits. The brass wire wheel works amazing!!! If you have a dremmel, that's your best bet ;) I'll post a pic

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491969195.984628.jpg

My example from a "seasoned" wheatie I got a while back. It had those little bumps and pitting all over it and I couldn't read the date. That wire wheel does the trick every time and gives it a nice buff. You obviously wouldn't wanna do it to a coin you KNEW was a key-date, or valuable. Anyways, that's my "2-cents". Good luck!

So I usually use my Dremmel tool with either a brass wire bit or one of the buffing bits. The brass wire wheel works amazing!!! If you have a dremmel, that's your best bet ;) I'll post a pic

Is this it? IMG_2275.JPG

Give those two wheats a hot peroxide bath.

Give those two wheats a hot peroxide bath.

Hot or cold?

I used hot hydrogen peroxide with some vinegar on my first and only Indian head I found the other day a and it made it real dark. I could still make it out and I could see the date 1903. So I got some advice from the guy who made the YouTube video and he told me to soak it in Coca-Cola for a day and that would lighten it up. Well it did and it's a 1900! Lol
IMG_2279.JPGIMG_2279.JPG
At this point it's like one of my children.

Last edited:
sure hope that is a sword scabbard hanging down

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back