Routine Penny Signal Bangs 300 year old coin off Bucket List!!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Days are unfortunately getting shorter. Showed up at a new spot today at 4 pm. This place looks like something out of a movie. Old trees etc. Anyways, second diggable signal of the day rang in at a steady 80 on the At Pro. I'm thinking its a copper penny all day, yet I notice it's at 6-8"? That coupled with the fact it's a new spot had me a little intrigued. I haven't been detecting very long, less than 2 years, but I've done pretty well. Been seriously dying to get my hands on some Colonial Silver. Never would have thought that it would have rang in the same as a copper penny, but stranger things have happened. Anyways, I dig the hole and out pops a 1721 Spanish 2 Reale! I was literally shaking, as lame as that may sound to some of you lol. What a beauty!! Unbelievable shape!! I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Thanks for looking, happy hunting, and don't ever be above digging that deep clad penny signal. Cheers.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Upvote 64

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
That 1652 Pine Tree would definitely be nice, that's for sure!!! Throw in a Willow Tree while you're at it too lol!!

Abe's zeroing in on the NE Shilling next. Personally, I think he'll do it. Probably on the 8th of a month at around 8AM!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1225647
Yeah, they're definitely prevailant in this area for sure Iron Patch. All the way up into Vermont. This was the edge of the frontier at one point. My other buddy has found two this year in this area. Both cut half Reales though. Here's the one he found 2 weeks ago.

That's a sweet cob for sure. I have dug many Spanish silvers in the CT River Valley in Hamden and Hampshire Counties, but never a cob. I know of one being dug north of Greenfield, but they don't turn up often. Most of my Spanish silvers come from a large complex of field a little north of where you are.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That 1652 Pine Tree would definitely be nice, that's for sure!!! Throw in a Willow Tree while you're at it too lol!!

You're in an excellent spot to dig Mass or NE silver. I've dug two from the CT River Valley and I know of several others. There was even a NE Shilling found in the area.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a sweet cob for sure. I have dug many Spanish silvers in the CT River Valley in Hamden and Hampshire Counties, but never a cob. I know of one being dug north of Greenfield, but they don't turn up often. Most of my Spanish silvers come from a large complex of field a little north of where you are.

Jason,

Are those fields still off limits?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks brother!! Really appreciated!! Yeah, the research I've done all points to just north of .8 silver content, like you said. Definitely played a role in the lower VDI in my opinion. As far as the assayer's name, I came across a man named
Antonio de Cardeña?? Don't know if this is correct or not, but it seemed very credible from the source? Anyways, thanks for taking the time to chime in. Cheers and HH

You're correct on the assayer. I did some more checking with the name you provided and that is indeed the Madrid assayer from that period. For some reason all the sources I checked earlier said that "A" assayer was not listed in the records. But apparently that's not the case. Nice job on that!

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
unfortunately, they are. each person needs to establish their own permission now. They say yes to some, no to most, but it's worth asking...

I've heard about that incident. As soon as the pine tree shilling was found, tons of people started showing up on that site without permission, and apparently ruined it for everybody else. Sucks. There's probably a lot more great stuff in those fields.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a looker, awesome condition but just looks majestic in your hand. Congrats on a find any of us would love to find!! :-D

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a looker, awesome condition but just looks majestic in your hand. Congrats on a find any of us would love to find!! :-D

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate that. And just know you and your buddies are like celebrities here in Mass. That video with the gold Double Eagles is amazing. I've watched it countless times on YouTube, as have my friends. Cheers from New England.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the kind words, good to know our California Adventures are being seen all the way across the USA. That was a day we will never forget and I can never complain about having a bad detecting day ever again. :-)

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the kind words, good to know our California Adventures are being seen all the way across the USA. That was a day we will never forget and I can never complain about having a bad detecting day ever again. :-)

No you definitely can't. Lol. The silvers alone that day were incredible, but then when the gold started coming out?!?! Simply amazing!! That's a day we all dream of!! Cheers.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that video too... Heart stopping.... I just tried to find it again, but I can't. I made a new account on YouTube and I don't have all of the same people saved yet... Maybe someone can PM a link to me for it, so we don't hijack this thread too much!

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread