Routine Penny Signal Bangs 300 year old coin off Bucket List!!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Days are unfortunately getting shorter. Showed up at a new spot today at 4 pm. This place looks like something out of a movie. Old trees etc. Anyways, second diggable signal of the day rang in at a steady 80 on the At Pro. I'm thinking its a copper penny all day, yet I notice it's at 6-8"? That coupled with the fact it's a new spot had me a little intrigued. I haven't been detecting very long, less than 2 years, but I've done pretty well. Been seriously dying to get my hands on some Colonial Silver. Never would have thought that it would have rang in the same as a copper penny, but stranger things have happened. Anyways, I dig the hole and out pops a 1721 Spanish 2 Reale! I was literally shaking, as lame as that may sound to some of you lol. What a beauty!! Unbelievable shape!! I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Thanks for looking, happy hunting, and don't ever be above digging that deep clad penny signal. Cheers.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Upvote 64

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Vino, I did post the other side, can you not see it?? Not positive it's a 2 Reale, but pretty sure? It's got the typical "II" right above the assayer's initial right of the shield? It's about the same size as a quarter...

Yes it is def. a 2 reale as you said, noted by the roman "II" on the right side of shield....reading rest of replies...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice deuce reale... great dig. WD.

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet -- I'm leading up to the big find,, but, that is absolutely beautiful:laughing7:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great looking pistareen with a nice Madrid mint mark! For some reason the assayer "A" is unknown as his name is apparently unrecorded. BTW - your coin is 83.3% silver.

Last edited:

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. Must be tough?? I'd kill for a full Reale or a half for that matter!!

Haha... Totally honest here, i'd kill for an itty bitty smidgen of an reale or pistereen... A shaving of one!! Ha! Maybe one day... In the meantime, enjoy that early silver!!! :thumbsup::hello2:

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking pistareen with a nice Madrid mint mark! For some reason the assayer "A" is unknown as his name is apparently unrecorded. BTW - your coin is 83.3% silver.

Thanks brother!! Really appreciated!! Yeah, the research I've done all points to just north of .8 silver content, like you said. Definitely played a role in the lower VDI in my opinion. As far as the assayer's name, I came across a man named
Antonio de Cardeña?? Don't know if this is correct or not, but it seemed very credible from the source? Anyways, thanks for taking the time to chime in. Cheers and HH

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ChestDiesel great find and congrats for scratching one off your list, but for where you live it's no surprise, and added that you've only been at it a short time...or only on this forum a short time ?

IN any case more good, and old stuff you will find. ESP. if you are a newbee.

It's a great find, and I believe it's authentic 100%, and in case you don't know I would be one of the first to say otherwise. I don't see anything that suggests counterfeit. The colour to me is perfect, not to mention the somewhat uneven wear which is strike variences. (my buddy ZDD found one with good detail almost everywhere, but with some small weaknessess here, and ther such is the case with old planchets)

Cangrats on your first.

Since other are mentioning their numbers of 2Rs found I'd like to say I found 2 in one day in 2013 this is the post.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...2-reales-geo-1st-copper-nice-knee-buckle.html
(I also got 5 2Rs in that year, just check out my year end post of 2013) PS there are dirty pics to go with all those hunts)

And not to be negative in any way, but I don't think a 2R in that condition is a banner, it is not as "sharp" as you think they are....I never got a vote. Not complaining, just sayin'

In conclusion, where you live, if you hunt a lot you will find a banner find, it's just a matter of time.

Good luck out there.

EDIT; as far as the 80 reading on the ATP, it certainly could be the angle of the coin in the ground. as for the 2Rs I've found the numbers have been from about 80 to 88, but hey anything above 60 i'm digging for sure, and if you want old pewters go lower than that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn bro!!! You've found some amazing stuff!! Yeah, I think we're both kinda spoiled when it comes to location. I'd kill to hunt in Nova Scotia, I'm presuming that's where you are. I've heard of incredible stuff washing up on the shore there, and Robert McKinnon's book about wooden shipwrecks in that area is just incredible. That being said, I don't hold much hope for finding anything this old again and in this shape, banner or no banner. I don't know of anybody locally that's found anything close to this in age and quality. It all depends on what people's preferences are I guess? It's like would you rather have this or a 1880 Morgan?? You know?? Anyways, thanks for posting, great finds. I hope to find a fraction of what you've found. Cheers and HH.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CD the two 2 Rs that I've found have rung up 88 on my T2 SE which is exactly what an LC in good condition that's not worn rings up. That coin certainly looks to be 100% legit. I remember how great it felt to get that first Spanish silver. Make a list of your dream finds my friend. You just may find one of them. I can tell you from experience that the euphoria of that is something you wish you could bottle up and hold onto. You've done great so far buddy

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw please don't call Vino a legend. That guy can barely get in his truck his head is so damn big lol

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CD the two 2 Rs that I've found have rung up 88 on my T2 SE which is exactly what an LC in good condition that's not worn rings up. That coin certainly looks to be 100% legit. I remember how great it felt to get that first Spanish silver. Make a list of your dream finds my friend. You just may find one of them. I can tell you from experience that the euphoria of that is something you wish you could bottle up and hold onto. You've done great so far buddy
That 1652 Pine Tree would definitely be nice, that's for sure!!! Throw in a Willow Tree while you're at it too lol!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful old coin.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
THAT is a coin anyone would be thrilled to find..might even wet my pants a bit.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story & great looking coin. (1 I haven't got yet)

As you mention you have only been doing this 2 years, I will repeat what I say a lot on here, partly because you highlighted it. Do not trust or rely on the numbers any machine gives you whatever the cost of that machine. Its a slippery path to losing your best finds. I have lost count of how many iffy signals (& this is without looking at numbers) have been my best finds. On sites like this (assuming not too much trash) I would just dig everything over a iron nail. I glance at my XP Deus numbers as a hint but would never not dig based on them. For me if its over 10 its coming out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread