Rube Goldburg Doodads

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Rube Goldburg Doodads

Sometimes when a person has time on their hands and enjoys experimenting with different techniques of accumulating micron Gold from a hard rock, they will look at all the different things on the market to help in this endeavor, some work on certain ores and some do not.

Micron Gold is very small and minus micron even smaller and yet most of the Gold mines have this type of ore, it is not even visible to the naked eye, yet be a valuable mine - especially as the price of Gold keeps raising in value.

It takes several thousand individual pieces of this tiny micron Gold to even make a sheen in the bottom of a Gold pan.

Micron Gold Captured.jpg

I have been experimenting with different things to get a concentrate out of hard rock ore If you were to just set up a sluice box and run water over it then add the ground up ore, it will trap some of the micron Gold, but a great percentage of it will just go right over the end of the sluice and be back in your tailing pile.

So here it comes " The Rube Goldburg Doodad swing thinge " …

Without spending thousands of dollars I have simply taken a 36” X 10” sluice box and suspended it from a frame with four ratchet clamps attached to eyebolts.

Springs are attached at the top end bottom of the sluice, for back pressure.

Then I attached a reciprocating saw at the upper end of the sluice and using PVC pipe to create a tapping of the box when the saw is running (approximately 200 taps per minute.)

A Micron Gold sheen.jpg

This bumping or tapping helps to drive those tiny particles of Gold down into the carpet of the sluice before they are carried over the end into the tailing pile.

The amount of water used is just enough to keep the ore in a state of fluidity (very small amount).

a Bump Sluice.JPG

Once you capture a high-grade concentrate then you can use other methods to capture the fine Gold particles.

Here is a list of things that do not work on my particular ore concentrate…
1. A Gold Genie spiral wheel.
2. The Gold Exorcist

The Gold is too fine!

I purchased a Model M4 micron wave table and have ran this concentrate over the table. The Gold is so fine you can not see it when it is vacuumed off the table - but it is there.

a 4 Bump Sluice.JPG

This piece of equipment works!

Attachments

• Micron Gold Captured.jpg
    Micron Gold Captured.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 825
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) Boogeyman, the cones are made of fiberglass,
light weight and pretty durable.

Cone dementions.jpg

I purchased them about 30 years ago at a second hand store,

this is something a person might have to have made up.

I do not know where a cone like this could be purchased.

It's a dirty shame these cones are not at every mining supply shop,

They are really a handy thing to have. (back saver)

:) :coffee2: needle

Now maybe here is an opportunity for someone to make these cones and

get them at mining supply shops. (very useful)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Needle! It's one of those things, when you look at your pictures it's like a slap in the back of the head saying what an awsome idea, why the heck didn't think of that.

Now ya got me thinking :D and that's only on the first cup of coffee!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
this can be simply made out of 1/8 or 3/16 ABS plastic sheeting. cut a cone out and glue it together using the ABS adhesive and clamo it untill its cured. once the adhesive curess the ABS plastic will weld itself together and itll NEVER come apart. i have used this plastic to make flairs for my dredges and other items for myself. i like that tip of putting a band around the top of the bucket to keep it from splitting from the weight of the water. this would be another tip for making this cone out of ABS plastic. make a ring for each end of that cone to keep it from splitting also.its light weight and fairly cheap if the plastic supply shop has any 1/2 sheets. i bought full sheets when i went there.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was already thinking of that, my plastic welder heating element took a dump. So I guess this will be a good excuse to get off my butt and fix it.

Know what you mean about buying full sheets of material & cutting charges! The place I get screen and punch plate from must have solid gold shears! They really stick it to you on cutting charges, sometimes 3 cuts almost costs more than the material!?!?! Needless to say I've got a ton of leftover material sitting around waiting for other projects.

Thanks for the hint though! Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) That is a good tip russau, the particular cones I have, have a sealed bottom, water can not get into the bucket when the cone is placed in it. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions