Rude branch managers

Jury

Dec 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, guys,
the bank which provided me $1000 in halves a week (one of banks) refused to continue. They promised me in the beginning that service, vault teller was so nice. I asked for increase trice, and she said 'yes', but she needs approval of branch manager. Same day branch manager told me that they stop ordering me coins at all, because she did not know that I order, its too expensive and bla bla bla. I complained for her to executive and he called back and just repeated her words. I had 10k in deposits with them, they have good APY, but now I am thinking to make them dump bank (another branch kindly accepts up to 5k in halves a week for dump). What do u usually do i this kind of situations? How to increase ordering amount without getting trouble like that?

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spread it between branches of the same bank

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Jury said:
Hi, guys,
the bank which provided me $1000 in halves a week (one of banks) refused to continue. They promised me in the beginning that service, vault teller was so nice. I asked for increase trice, and she said 'yes', but she needs approval of branch manager. Same day branch manager told me that they stop ordering me coins at all, because she did not know that I order, its too expensive and bla bla bla. I complained for her to executive and he called back and just repeated her words. I had 10k in deposits with them, they have good APY, but now I am thinking to make them dump bank (another branch kindly accepts up to 5k in halves a week for dump). What do u usually do i this kind of situations? How to increase ordering amount without getting trouble like that?

Another thing you can do is see if they are charged a fee for ordering so many and offer to pay that fee. A small fee is nothing compared to what you will gain by continuing to have a source of halves and offering to pay it will be a good way to keep that source and possibly increase your number of boxes ordered if you get a wild hair up your ass.

Deep Packets

Dec 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jury said:
What do u usually do i this kind of situations? How to increase ordering amount without getting trouble like that?

Q1) If you are in a city with many banks, move on asap, forget that it happened, and continue playing the game.
Q2) BigHeed +1. Remember that there are multiple people involved in your order. Any of them become annoyed and make a stink and the BM agrees with them, your orders get the kabosh (in many different ways ie. fees, limited, or none). Spread them out like Bigheed mentioned, because most banks dont have a problem with 1 or 2 weekly.

Keep your account for now.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Jury said:
Hi, guys,

If you are dumping 5K a week at another branch, it is obvious that you are doing a large amount of volume. When we do too much, it gets people to stop doing it at all. If you were doing less it would not be a problem. So if you want ot continue that type volume, offer ot share some of the cost. After all, they are doing you a service, they are charged money to do it, and they get nothing in return. Try to think of it from someone else's viewpoint. Do less, or share the cost.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There comes a point when greed takes over and enough is enough.

Looks like you pushed the limitations of that bank and lost. All your CRH fate is in the hands of the valut manager, so be nice to them.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
......Do less, or share the cost.

I don't think I can imagine worse advice. Try this.......do more, and never pay a fee.

The only time I was told that I couldn't order boxes anymore by a branch manager I sat at her desk and asked her to pull up my accounts. The I pulled a play right out of the rileyboy handbook. I pointed to my total on her screen and asked "do you want to be the one responsible for the bank losing that money?" She quickly changed her mind, and that's an account I only have about $30,000 in.

That was back in January, and the only weeks I've missed picking up from them since then are the weeks I say so, not them.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
CardsNCoins said:
jrf30 said:

I don't think I can imagine worse advice. Try this.......do more, and never pay a fee.

The only time I was told that I couldn't order boxes anymore by a branch manager I sat at her desk and asked her to pull up my accounts. The I pulled a play right out of the rileyboy handbook. I pointed to my total on her screen and asked "do you want to be the one responsible for the bank losing that money?" She quickly changed her mind, and that's an account I only have about $30,000 in.

That was back in January, and the only weeks I've missed picking up from them since then are the weeks I say so, not them.

About time someone flips this thread around! NEVER pay a fee, and DONT let the bank walk all over you like that!

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
CardsNCoins said:
jrf30 said:

The thing is CnC, Not all of us on this forum have $30,000 in one account... I understand your point completely and I wish I was in that situation. Sadly I am not. I am happy to have $500 to spend on CRHing. I know you do lots of volume and are sucessful but for the "Little Fish" like me, I don't hold that trump card.. I guess until I become someone with a decent bank roll I am at their mercy. Cheers. IS.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
The thing is CnC, Not all of us on this forum have $30,000 in one account... I understand your point completely and I wish I was in that situation. Sadly I am not. I am happy to have $500 to spend on CRHing. I know you do lots of volume and are sucessful but for the "Little Fish" like me, I don't hold that trump card.. I guess until I become someone with a decent bank roll I am at their mercy. Cheers. IS.

I mentioned my balance at that bank only to show that it wasn't a big number like 100K or something bigger needed to be able to lean on them a little. The OP says he has 10K in his account, and that should be enough leverage to play hardball, but you have to be ready to walk if they call your raise. I would guess that the dumbest bank in the world can still make $100 a month from 10K, and most likely more. How much interest do you think the OP gets from his 10K each month?

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
CardsNCoins said:
ImpurestStewart said:

I mentioned my balance at that bank only to show that it wasn't a big number like 100K or something bigger needed to be able to lean on them a little. The OP says he has 10K in his account, and that should be enough leverage to play hardball, but you have to be ready to walk if they call your raise. I would guess that the dumbest bank in the world can still make $100 a month from 10K, and most likely more. How much interest do you think the OP gets from his 10K each month?

I am going to say less than 1%. Or close to it. I actually have a bank here that gives 3% interest. That seems to be a much rarer thing these days. Cheers

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times a bank cut you off is because the lady tellers handling your coins are too weak. Each half box weighs 25 lbs, which is nothing for most men, but is too unpleasant for some ladies. Switch to a different bank.

Branch managers routinely meet each other for corporate meetings. They talk. If you dump at one branch and buy from another, you will be cut off soon.

"Spread" is best advice.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't ever pay a fee. Even a small fee like $4 per half box is too much. Because it means you need 1 40%er to break even. If you get skunked you are out $4 that you could have bought silver outright with. Since a lot of people are on a 12+ box skunk streak, if they had paid $4 for a box they would be out $48 just on that one streak, meaning they could buy about 2 silver dollars or some higher grade collector coins for that amount.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jury said:
Hi, guys,

There are some good suggestions in all the replies. However, sometimes there just simply is nothing you can do. All banks/branch managers/vault tellers are different. Anytime you attempt to increase/change your standing order, you run the risk of not only being turned down, but also losing your standing order. Sometimes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

I'm going to guess that $10,000 is not a big enough deposit to give you much leverage. Maybe if that particular bank has been losing a lot of accounts, they'll go the extra mile to keep from losing yours. Maybe. So, if you threaten to move your account, be prepared to do so. If that APY is not something you're prepared to give up, then don't bluff with it. Your bluff will very likely be called. I once offered to move a family member's CD with a little over $100,000 in it to a particular bank just for the privilege of buying the halves off their coin counting machine when the bag filled. I was turned down.

What I would do is just simply look for a new order bank. I would not turn this bank into a dump bank - unless I needed another dump bank. What I would do is put it on a sort of "mental list" of potential future dump banks. Should I need an additional dump bank in the future, this would be my first choice. No sense in likely "burning that bridge" before you need to. As for the $10,000, I would STRONGLY consider moving it to the bank that allows you to dump $5K weekly. They're being VERY generous with you, and they deserve all the business you can give them IMO.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
ArkieBassMan said:
Sometimes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.
+1

Unless I have a really good relationship with a branch, I try to alter my orders as little as possible. This is why I now start off with a 2-3K order instead of working up from 1K like I did when I first started CRHing.

If I am going to try and increase an order size, I try not to do so until after at least 8-10 orders. This is generally the 2 month mark for me and by this time I have either established a good relationship with the tellers or I am walking on egg shells and rather than increasing my order with this branch, find another branch nearby to order additional boxes from.

If trying to up your order at a bank that is producing very well, NEVER underestimate the effectiveness of a Dunkin Donuts gift card a week or two before you ask for the increase.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
If you have unlimited banks, never pay a fee.

BUT, if your banks are limited within your range of travel (and I travel 50 miles in both directions from my house) then you have to ask, can I get silver CRH'ing cheaper than down at the Little Coin Shop ?

If not, pay the fee. Silver is going to the moon, and getting scarcer all the time.

Keep on Rollin' !

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
brendan1414 said:
CardsNCoins said:
jrf30 said:

About time someone flips this thread around! NEVER pay a fee, and DONT let the bank walk all over you like that!

The bank I am using to order my halves right now, I am not even a member of. The bank I am a member of, they wont order halves, they said they cant get them but with my run of brinks rolls, I dont think I want them to now lol. If that bank that I am not a member of required a small fee to order, I would not complain at all. If I do become a member, I will be keeping a minimum in the account which is $100 so regardless, I am using them as a service and nothing more, a small $5 fee for a box of money I wont be complaining about.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
The_EE said:
brendan1414 said:
CardsNCoins said:
jrf30 said:

The bank I am using to order my halves right now, I am not even a member of. The bank I am a member of, they wont order halves, they said they cant get them but with my run of brinks rolls, I dont think I want them to now lol. If that bank that I am not a member of required a small fee to order, I would not complain at all. If I do become a member, I will be keeping a minimum in the account which is $100 so regardless, I am using them as a service and nothing more, a small $5 fee for a box of money I wont be complaining about.

A skunk is gonna hurt a million times harder that way knowing you wasted your time AND payed for nothing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread