Rules and traditions of dealing and selling for all members.

Garytopman

Jan 3, 2011
Moscow
Detector(s) used
AKA-Signum,Sorex Pro,Kondor.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to create this thread just to remind everyone,who sells here or wants to buy.There are rules and traditions in every treasuring forum,not depending in what country it is.
If a seller says,that he wants to make a deal with you after your request about buying and international shipping,then,a seller should follow it with pointing all the detailes.I will not say about examples here,when a seller says yes to make a deal and in a few hours he refuses explaining,that he decided to sell to another.Before saying yes,a seller in this case has all the imagination about shipping,paying except for shipping cost probably,which should be pointed out.
I am sure,that such kind of willing from a seller side does not correspond to normal and accepted rules on TreasureNet.Otherwise,before saying possible yes in dealing,a seller should should say accurately,that probably yes,probably not if shipping is international.From other side,a buyer could suggest to pay for an item and to ask about shipping to some friends in the USA,using his first right on a possible deal.There are several cases here already,when I met such a situation even having a chance to make a deal with a local shipping also.I will not say about these cases as I want all members to be loyal to rules.

[] -

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically your saying that if someone agrees to sell you something they shouldn't back out of the deal when they find out you live in Russia? And/or they should give you the opportunity to make other (U.S.)shipping arrangements if they don't want to ship overseas? If this is what you mean, then I agree... A man's reputation is only as good as his word.

OP
OP
G

Garytopman

Jan 3, 2011
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes,you are absolutely correct.A seller before saying yes,has been already informed about international shipping and paying also ( of course PayPal in mostly cases ).Even if a seller from sudden points of view considers not to ship internationally for a moment,then he should give a chance to make a deal locally if a buyer has friends.

[] -

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Preach it Gary, sorry you got hosed brother. Here's a "like" to cheer you up:).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line although it may suck for the buyer, a seller backing out on a deal to sell international because of concerns and sells locally does not violate TN rules....

If the buyer has local contacts it is best to have them take care of the deal to begin with if they are concerned at all about the sale going through just for peace of mind.....

OP
OP
G

Garytopman

Jan 3, 2011
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not mean,that if a seller did not ship internationally in a description or refused at once to do it upon a request,violated any rules.No,of course.But,if a seller says,that to ship with USPS internationally is possible and the only thing is to point out a quote one day,next day says,that he decided to sell to another buyer not even mentioning,that from some reasons ( weather,broken car,bad health...) was not able to ship internationally,did not give a chance to make a deal with my friends in the USA.That was my reason,I was eager to share here.
Proving my words,a buyer,who was informed,that he could make a deal,spent time to go to a bank to add PayPal account with funds,refused from other possible deals somewhere and lost those chances,then,this buyer was like deceived and it was really so.
So,saying all that easy,a seller promised to make a deal,then,refused without an explanation and giving an opportunity to finish a deal from normal point of view.If it does not break TN rules,then,it breaks normal rules bitween people.
If I say,that I will sell my detector to someone from the USA today and tomorrow,someone from Russia asks me to make a deal,I will not change my mind in any case as I PROMISED and I appreciate my partners.Everybody should feel a difference and I see always on TN,that first buyers are the only in dealing with sellers and nobody argues these facts.Why is my thread worthy to think from opposite side?

Bottom line although it may suck for the buyer, a seller backing out on a deal to sell international because of concerns and sells locally does not violate TN rules....

If the buyer has local contacts it is best to have them take care of the deal to begin with if they are concerned at all about the sale going through just for peace of mind.....

[] -

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary nothing wrong with your post, I was only pointing out no TN rules were being violated...

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gary,
When I was younger, I did something similar and got royally chewed out by the first guy I sold an item to.
SOmone came along and offered me more $ and I sold it to that guy. I then gave the first guy his money back.
I'll never forget what a scummy thing I did just for a few extra $'s.
Now I live by my word. I'll never forget how embarassed I was about how I let myself go back on a deal.
It was definetly a lapse in jugdement and I built some character as a consequence.
I think this guy found someone he could get more $ from.

S

stefen

It all boils down to ethics and good business practices.

The Seller Sets The Groundrules

As a seller, you need to provide an honest description of the item for sale, (if you misrepresent a description, as the seller you should refund all payments including return shipping costs)

State that you will not ship until funds are secured by PayPal (or whoever) and that you (will or will not) ship outside of the continental U.S. Shipping outside of the US will require additional costs provided to the buyer. (A buyer outside of the US should be aware that shipping may take upwards to a month or more to arrive due to customs regulations and inspections. Getting antsy and making complaints about the seller is normally not the sellers problem, but that of the destination countries import regulations...

The Buyers Results

Therefore, if a buyer doesn't make a payment...he's SOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions