Rules for the Use of metal detectors in Michigan State Parks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USE OF METAL DETECTORS

POLICY

The use of electronic metal detectors to find lost coins, rings, watches, or other valuables is a popular activity. Favorite search areas are intensive use areas, especially beaches. Parks and Recreation Bureau (PRB) has long recognized this as a recreational activity at appropriate locales. However, there is increasing concern that metal detectors are facilitating illegal removal of archaeological and historic resources from Division-administered lands.

Public Act 451, 324.74102 mandates the protection of historic resources within State Parks.

Public Act 238 of 1957 provides a means of disposing of personal property lost or abandoned on state property and this is included in the Park Field Manual, Ranger Guide, and Parks and Recreation Policy #1.10.

Public Act 451 of 1994, Part 761 Aboriginal Records and Antiquities, prohibits a person from removing, exploring or excavating any relic or aboriginal antiquities and abandoned property of historical or recreational value found upon or within the lands owned by or under the control of the state.

In addition to the concerns regarding the unauthorized removal of historical artifacts, there is a concern related to the potential damage to lands resulting from the act of “digging up” items identified by various metal detectors.

Public Act 451 of 1994, Part 324.74121, State parks; prohibited conduct, in section 74121 states:

“A person shall not do the following in a state park:

(a) Destroy, damage or remove any tree, shrub, wildflower or other vegetation or property without the permission of the department.”

Metal detectors may provide the public with a chance of recovering some lost possessions in intensively used areas. Items of historic value may not be removed.

For the foregoing reasons, it shall be the policy of the Parks and Recreation Bureau to prohibit the use of metal detectors on all Bureau-administered lands except:

1. Designated swimming beaches
2. Designated day use areas
3. Campgrounds
4. Parking lots
5. Boating access site parking lots

Exceptions to the areas listed above may be given in specific instances based upon new information that was unknown on the approval date of this policy.

It shall be the responsibility of the individual field unit to provide a map specifically designating areas in which this activity is allowed.
For requests to conduct archaeological research, refer to Parks and Recreation Policy #8.7, Use Permits. Archaeological research requires a permit jointly issued by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and the Department of History, Arts and Libraries.

The following conditions apply to the use of metal detectors in state parks:

1. All recovered items must be checked by a park employee before being removed from the park.

2. Any items the park has recorded lost and that can be returned to the rightful owner will be turned in to the park, or the park will notify the owner of the name and address of the finder.

3. Coins may be retained by the finder unless rare and historic. If coins are turned in, PRB staff should contact the Michigan Historical Center, Department of History, Arts and Libraries to determine historic value and disposition instructions.

4. Any artifacts found will be retained by the State.

5. The use of probes or small hand trowels to retrieve objects discovered beneath the surface shall be allowed if the land is not unduly disturbed. Disturbed material must be replaced.

6. Large-scale digging to retrieve objects shall not be allowed unless being done as part of a Department authorized archaeological research project.

Metal detectors are prohibited from:

1. Fayette State Park and Fort Wilkins State Park

2. Beaches, day use areas, boating access sites or campgrounds known to have artifacts.

3. Designated historic or archaeological sites. Designated includes sites listed on the State or National registers of historic places, or indicated by the Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries as eligible for listing on the State or Federal register.
4. Areas specifically closed to the use of metal detectors by a Land Use Order of the Director.

Attachments

• Treasure Everywhere.jpg
    Treasure Everywhere.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 7,070

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there a clause about getting screwed with your clothes on............ :-\
"1. All recovered items must be checked by a park employee before being removed from the park."

sandrailer

Dec 28, 2006
Durand, Mi.USA
Detector(s) used
fisher coinstrike
Boy our tax $$$`s don`t fund any state parks???? So if you find it and put in the time and cash for the MD bend over and take it from the wonderful state of Mi.I tell ya what i think i need to move out of this crappy state.OK im done i`ll get off the soap box sorry.

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Hey guys first post here! Thanks for posting those detailed guidelines. I've looked at the park maps before when I'd be heading to one. The one I camped at last year had maps on the internet, and said you could only detect at the beach, which I did for the most part. I was never approached by anyone, and did not turn in my finds. In fact I read all the park rules posted everywhere, and there was no mention of off limits detecting, or metal detecting at all! The last day me and some kids hunted some campsites and I was just looking for confrontation, but it never came. If you read the rules of these parks, there a tons of ridiculous rules that no one follows. For instance, bikes could only be rode on the path, never on the grass. As far as I'm concerned, the rule needs to be posted at the park, or I'm detecting. I always check the posted rules. If you are confronted, you can just say that you read the posted rules.
BTW, my home forum is metal detectors paradise, its a small but friendly bunch.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bazooka said:
BTW, my home forum is metal detectors paradise, its a small but friendly bunch.

My home, too, Bazooka; But I sure enjoy the broad range of topics and participants here at TNet, too.

After reading the Michigan State Park rules pertaining to MDing, I'd say you're fortunate. In Iowa the rule is simple: NO!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Coins may be retained by the finder unless rare and historic. If coins are turned in, PRB staff should contact the Michigan Historical Center, Department of History, Arts and Libraries to determine historic value and disposition instructions..............

....... thats going to happen 8)

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City
I would be really interested in the log of finds turned over to the state historical society by the employees of the parks? Bongo

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EDDE said:
is there a clause about getting screwed with your clothes on............ :-\
"1. All recovered items must be checked by a park employee before being removed from the park."

So just show em all of your rare and valuable pulltabs, bottlecaps, tinfoil, gumwrappers, can slaw, zipper pulls, and clad. Sooner or later they'll get tired of looking at everybody's crap and leave you alone.

The only state parks I detect are Mears State Park in Pentwater and the beach at Ludington, which is the only part of that park that you can detect, along with the Pines Campground.

Somehow this has GOT to be amended or repealed.....it's BS.

I think the DNR should issue permits to detect ALL state land, not just parks much like a hunting license. Of course, places like Fayette or other historic areas, along with ACTIVE archaeological areas, wouldn't be included on the list of permitted places. I'd gladly pay like 15 bucks or so for a permit like that, because I know where dozens of old homesteads and ghost town sites are on State land. The only blowback to that is that towns will start copy-catting the process and then you'd have to pay to hunt in every town on your list.

But that way if you're out in the woods somewhere detecting a cellar hole, and a DNR officer comes up to you, all you have to do is whip out your permit. As long as you're detecting responsibly, filling in your holes, and packing out the trash you dig he'll pretty much have to let you be.

Yeah like the State Grave Robber's ever gonna let THAT happen!!! OOPS, did I say Grave Robber? I meant State Archaeologist!

HH,
SgtSki

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have to get a petion with signatures to a crook i mean a polotician to overturn or fix it.

Rattles

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Bay City
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Hmm. I asked the girl working the booth at Holland State Park yesterday if it was allowed and she said it was OK. Nothing more was said.

Found a nickel (nothing special), a Skoal tin and a empty Coke can (10 cent MI return!).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread