"S" button

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
"S" button

One piece button, about 1/2", nothing IDable on the front. On the back, the shank is still there, still had thread crammed in it. I thought it was dirt and when I poked it with a toothpick it fell out in a clump. When I tried to pull it open it fell apart to dust. There are letters between the circle and shank. The word "STAND" and then what looks like the letter "D" directly following it, there are more letters around the shank but they are not readable. Outside the circle are what looks like some kind of reeds or branches all the way around until either the top side or bottom side of the button. At that top or bottom side there is a small circle with either an "S" or a "5", I can't tell which. I assume the circled "S" is a manufacturers letter or number mark. Anyone got any ideas? Manufacturer? Time period? Front, cuff, or collar? Value if rare?

Attachments

• S button.JPG
    S button.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 221

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Re: "S" button

Nice old button! Most likely it says STANDARD (meaning standard gilt).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Just took another look at it. It definately says "STANDD" one word. Did some manufactures etch this in place of "STANDARD" to save space?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

The second D is a little superscript from the first. Nice. How about the branches and "S" mark? Is that a manufacturer?

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Skrimpy said:
The second D is a little superscript from the first. Nice. How about the branches and "S" mark? Is that a manufacturer?

Possibly, although offhand I don't recognize it. If I can track it down, I'll post it later.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

No listing found, so evidently the "S" isn't associated with any well-documented U.S. makers that might be represented by that initial— e.g., Scovill. You might try writing to the author of Dating Buttons, A Chronology of Button Types, Makers, Retailers & Their Backmarks, at the following address which appears in the book:

Warren K. Tice
8 Orchard Terrace
Essex Junction, VT 05452-3501

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread