26.1 KB · Views: 721
  • Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 713
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 711
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Just a guess looks like the top would be for a door knob and the bottom a key hole. Where did you find it?
I found it in a barn that was being torn down ( I was helping ) The keyhole part looks too big for the average key . But maybe it was for a giant jailhouse key ??

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 682
Upvote 0
So the key is bigger than the knob, hmmmm? You should throw a coat of urethane on it and put pictures behind the holes, will make a great story piece. Can't wait to find out what it's intention was? Where in the barn hanging, laying on the floor, in the rafters?

Upvote 0
May be a wood latch for a cubboard or door. one side would be attached to an opening double door and the other side with the latch hole would go over a knob. Then when you tried to open double doors it would self lock so to speak..
Thats all I can come up with. Hope it make sense.
DG

Upvote 0
COUNTRY GIRL said:
So the key is bigger than the knob, hmmmm? You should throw a coat of urethane on it and put pictures behind the holes, will make a great story piece. Can't wait to find out what it's intention was? Where in the barn hanging, laying on the floor, in the rafters?
It was just hanging on a nail on the wall .

Upvote 0
It appears to me to be a hanging bracket of some sort.The round part of the keyhole would slip over the bolt or large nail then slide into the slot to secure it.The round hole on the other end would fasten to whatever was being hung.

I have stamped thousands of similiar metal brackets on a punch press.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
Honing stone made out of petrified wood...Hickory....REALLY....

Upvote 0
I tend to agree with Hasbeen.

The peice of wood should be inverted with the keyhole being at the top.

More than likely, a wood peg (or shelf) was inserted in th hole...and maybe to hold a candle.

However, there doesn't appear to be any signs of burn markings...so its purpose may be up for grabs.

Additionally, there doesn't appear to be any significant wear around the top of the inverted key hole assuming that it performed as a swivel.

Upvote 0
Michelle said:
Honing stone made out of petrified wood??? Mojjax, what is the shready looking stuff in this keyhole?

Attachments

• strange.jpg
    strange.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0
Its one of those wood thingys that went into one of those other wood thingys that attached to a metal thingy that swang from a bar thingy and was used by thingy to do all his thingys.

Upvote 0
Michelle said:
Michelle said:
Honing stone made out of petrified wood??? Mojjax, what is the shready looking stuff in this keyhole?
Michelle , that's just some barn dust .

Upvote 0
dugupfinds said:
Its one of those wood thingys that went into one of those other wood thingys that attached to a metal thingy that swang from a bar thingy and was used by thingy to do all his thingys.
:D :D.....WE ALREADY KNEW THAT....... :D :D ;) Okay Mojjax, Barn dust it is, thought maybe you tried cleaning those finger nails with it or something and left the debri there....haha :D

Upvote 0
Have you ever seen an old hand drill and bit box "carry case"...? My s/o Dad had one "he made himself" but same concept. there is a slot that fits the head of the drill and another hole for the bit....could it be??? this "holder sits half way down inside the box to hold the tool!

Upvote 0
Could be a router jig for routing keyholes. A berring on the router bit would make the actual hole smaller when cut.

............. or not. ???

Upvote 0
i cant remember exactly what it was for but a logging type chain went into the round part of the "keyhole" and slid down into the slot and locked into place...... i cant remember what the other end was for but i think it was part of a fence stretcher.....i could be wrong lol

Marty

Upvote 0
Marty I don't think we're allowed to use the f-word anymore. "Fence stretcher"... shame on you! :D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back