Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. That old creek bed could be a gold mine with a little effort. So you are going to dig them right?

OP
OP
O

Ohioan

One of these days. I know where maybe 30 shelters or so are. Have been in a few of them. There are hundreds I'd imagine in 2 or 3 counties around here. If I kept walking I'd probably find more and more. These I've pictured and the 30 or so I know about are in an area that is completely surrounded by adena and hopewell sites. Just off the top of my head that I can remember and know about there are about 25 major camp sites and 20 or more what I call lookout camps. These spots were peppered between the major campsite on hilltops seemingly looking over major campsites. those spots rarely produced much more than very few field grades and flakes and in a very small area. I've been pretty much on every pc of ground surrounding this 800 acre woodlot the shelters you see pictured are in, and there are sites everywhere so Id say at least one of those pictured has to have something in it :icon_scratch: I've been putting off digging them because I have some spots I'm working with good results right now... well I was I haven't hunted much in about 2 months, a little but not much. But soon I'll probably hit the ones that look most promising. Below is my last best find.

Attachments

• celt.JPG
    celt.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 400

wilycreek

Greenie
May 30, 2009
Bushwacker County MO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You might want to MD those shelters first. My father was "inspecting" a shelter similar to those and instead of indian artifacts he found several coins from the 40s and 50s. He can't recall what coins or how many, but it seemed somebody is always needing shelter and losing things.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice last find. If things go as planned I wil be sifting this weekend. Good luck on your hunts.

OP
OP
O

Ohioan

Thanks Tn , Below are a few more that I have come accross lately. I found that celt a couple months back now, I've found a few points since then but not many. Don't know when I'll get to scratch around in any of these shelters, but MDing them first don't sound like a bad idea Wily. They're in a vicinity, as with a lot of places around here, where there were logging camps, old rail camps and hobo camps etc. And there are LOTS of Indian sites around the Ole Raccoon. I found a nice stemmed Adena out that way Sat. I wasn't looking for points though but naturally having my eyes to the ground I spotted the base exposed layin on an old trail that was going from a woodlot to another woodlot through a powerline clearcut, this part of the clearcut the trail went through was in a ravine of sorts, so maybe it washed down from above somewhere, I was real close to the Ole Raccoon and 1/4 to 1/2 mile from several adena sites in several different directions. It was a loner so when I find them like that I like to think it was from an indian out hunting, makes it seem a little cooler than your average on site finds like in the cornfields.

Attachments

• shelter2.JPG
    shelter2.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 218
  • shelter1.JPG
    shelter1.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 178
  • point.JPG
    point.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 223
  • shelter1.JPG
    shelter1.JPG