What's new

Worn super old coin, 1899 dog tag, button.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
2,777
Reaction score
6,887
Golden Thread
0
Location
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a great past few hunts. I would love some help with the coin. It is half dollar size ish. I'm not sure how to clean it. One side is smooth. 'm hoping someone recognizes it The token could be from anywhere.
 

Attachments

  • 20260601_200836.webp
    20260601_200836.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 392
  • 20260601_200307.webp
    20260601_200307.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
  • 20260601_200247.webp
    20260601_200247.webp
    868.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20260601_200247.webp
    20260601_200247.webp
    868.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20260601_200743.webp
    20260601_200743.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
  • 20260601_200755.webp
    20260601_200755.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 161
Upvote 28
Congrats on the finds. Keep gently working that coin and take some more side lit photos to share. I feel like I see a bear facing left but who knows. Suggest placing a common coin next to it to help show the size.
 
What a fantastic old Dog Tax Tag ! :hello2:

Good luck with the Coin ID (possible it's a Token ?) - keep us posted !
 
Congrats on the finds. Keep gently working that coin and take some more side lit photos to share. I feel like I see a bear facing left but who knows. Suggest placing a common coin next to it to help show the size.
Thank you, I haven't rinsed it yet but I'll get some distilled water and see what happens. I'm a little nervous of loosing what little detail there is. Thank you for the post. I'll get some more pictures later. It's an old one for colorado. The one side has the ring the other is flat.
 
What a fantastic old Dog Tax Tag ! :hello2:

Good luck with the Coin ID (possible it's a Token ?) - keep us posted !
Thank you etrack!!! I think it would be a coin being so worn from being carried around.
 
Here are some more pictures. Date ends in a 4:)
 

Attachments

  • 20260602_054313.webp
    20260602_054313.webp
    828.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20260602_054325.webp
    20260602_054325.webp
    711.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20260602_054339.webp
    20260602_054339.webp
    721.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20260602_054412.webp
    20260602_054412.webp
    929.5 KB · Views: 61
I'm thinking 1854 large cent. Cool token and dog license! :icon_thumright:
 
Had a great past few hunts. I would love some help with the coin. It is half dollar size ish. I'm not sure how to clean it. One side is smooth. 'm hoping someone recognizes it The token could be from anywhere.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
Any chance to take a couple more pics of the coin from directly above with lighting from two different angels? Perhaps even a pic of the coin after being wipped off from a water rinse. Thanks.
Don in SoCal
 
Had a great past few hunts. I would love some help with the coin. It is half dollar size ish. I'm not sure how to clean it. One side is smooth. 'm hoping someone recognizes it The token could be from anywhere.
Very cool tag!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom